Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti virus softare? Sick of Nortons....

BitDefender......reasonable and no hassle. I've been using them for about 15 years.

Jim

Using McAfee mostly because I never know who is going to open a bad email attachment.

I use Vipre and have for many years. I bought a lifetime home subscription many years ago - up to 10 PCs, and lifetime updates. I think at that time it was $129, which was a bargain. It's been a good product for me - very little impact on system resources, no unwanted popups, and good protection.

We use Vipre Endpoint Protection at work. We have 130 licenses for all our PCs, laptops and servers. It works great in this environment, and the central management console is a godsend, allowing us to deploy and update machines remotely, and to create different policies based on need or system type. It was much more reasonably priced than other options as well.

I think I just cancelled my auto-renewal subscription. Literally, three different "are you sure" pop-ups tried to get me to change my mind, including an additional 30 days of free coverage. I'm even more committed to getting rid of this bloatware virus now. My employer has me paranoid I guess..... We have an entire 'cyber-security' department that loves to make all employees lives so much simpler - sarcasm. They have convinced me that I MUST have virus protection program running in the background.

I consider all third party anti-virus programs to be as bad as a virus. I haven’t used anything beyond windows for at least 10 yrs and haven’t had any issues. All my data is backed up in various clouds so worst case I would reinstall windows but that hasn’t been necessary. If you’re reasonably careful about opening emails from unknown senders it shouldn’t be an issue.

I have anti-virus on my work laptop and it’s a hassle sometimes blocking legitimate software. Takes me a while to figure out why I’m having trouble installing a new piece of software that isn’t whitelisted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I think I just cancelled my auto-renewal subscription. Literally, three different "are you sure" pop-ups tried to get me to change my mind, including an additional 30 days of free coverage. I'm even more committed to getting rid of this bloatware virus now. My employer has me paranoid I guess..... We have an entire 'cyber-security' department that loves to make all employees lives so much simpler - sarcasm. They have convinced me that I MUST have virus protection program running in the background.
    Windows built in does run in the background and is always running.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Windows built in does run in the background and is always running.
    ^^ This. As has been noted native AV in Windows is pretty decent, is free and is always running unless you do multiple things to turn it off on purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Linux.

Windows is basically spyware anyway at this point.

Blog Entries
    I'm always amused by the "Ford / Chevy", "Tastes Great / Less Filling" viewpoints on operating systems. I can tell many stories of folks contaminating whole departments full of machines because they believed that Mac or 'ux' systems were auto-magically resistant to attack.

I'm another who runs the built in stuff on my Windows machines and have since Windows 7 . . . maybe before, it's been so long since XP. Never had a problem. For my 'ux' flavored home machines I tend to run Avast. Thinking no one designs attacks for the OS that runs much of the internet is an interesting position.

Fire up the default Windows 10 security settings, dial in a few things specific to your use if required and move on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    My son-in-law is a cyber security expert at a fortune 100 company.he recommends the built in Microsoft stuff. I had kasperski and abandoned the license.

I found Norton really invasive and got rid of it. Norton makes it difficult to get it fully off your machine,but just persevere, it’s doable. I have been using Webroot for several years and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Linux.

Windows is basically spyware anyway at this point.
    I guess it depends on who you want to spy on you, I guess.

I'm now looking for a NON-MS AV- I've been very satisfied with Defender and Security Essentials. Until lately that is... I've been scrubbing and 'rebuilding' my old Win7 computers lately, because they're so ludicrously SLOOOOWWW. My Dell T5400 Precision desktop is running an SSD, 32gigs of Ram and 8 processors, and my old win98 runs faster. Or RAN faster, I just installed 7-Pro Ultimate64 and OMG what a difference, it's back to its old self.... I've owned it about 3 years and it was lightning fast when I got it. The day it showed up downloaded security updates, then disabled Updates, and it's never had another one. I mean, 8 to ~ seconds for context menus to show up after a click is a bit much. Now, absolute instant reaction to ANY mouseclick. I also put the same OS on a used Dell 790 I got recently, only 16gigs ram but it acts the same way, totally instantaneous reaction. And I want to KEEP them that way. A walk-in customer, who programs servers for a living, recently told me that even though I've disabled Windows Updates, and supposedly Win7 support has ended, MS still uploads updates to Win7 computers. And, that (according to him), while the updates are viable, MS admits that they use a crapload of computer power- on purpose. In essence, they're slowing down our computers on purpose. I've also read a similar story online awhile back. How are they installing the updates? How about when your Defender and Essentials download new virus definitions..? Conspiracy theory? Maybe, but I still have 3 nearly useless Win7 computers in this house that USED to work VERY well. SOMETHING is slowing them down, and it ain't me!

Sorry for the novella, but I'm reasonably convinced Defender and Essentials, as much as I like how they work, are the source of my computer slowdowns. My 'new' 7's have been offline and I need them online, so I'll now read backwards and see what y'all had to say!

>edit< ok, so I'm online checking, on 'TomsGuide', and the words "heavy background system impact" as 'reasons to avoid' show up on reviews of BitDefender, Norton, McAfee ("VERY heavy") and Trend Micro. Toms favorite is Kapspersky... One thing I DON'T need is a VPN, doc shredders, or any other crap, I just want my AV to find and get rid of viruses & such, period. I'm not afraid to pay, either

>edit II< OK-- so I found, and downloaded an AV called "Immunet"-- It's free, open-source software, originally designed for Linux, has NO frills of any kind, there's no pay-version of it so no nag popups, it runs from an online app... If any computer on its 'network' gets infected, then every computer gets updated. Simple, free!, no frills, no popups, and (hopefully) it just works. We'll see

immunet.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 02-10-2022 at 2:51 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle