Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvey S-12S Overhead Blade Gaurd. Anyone here have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    You ideally want the guard to cover the scoring blade so that you don't run your hand over it when it's spinning. Scoring blades tend to "disappear" from your vision since you're so used to looking at the main blade. With the way I have this Harvey unit setup I think the scoring blade might line up with that front wheel, so I would just have to keep the guard raised up slightly when turning on the saw in that scenario.

And, yes, the Harvey unit came with a wider piece of clear plastic that you attach when making bevel cuts. I just have it stored out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The first time you run a finger into the scoring blade and it shoots your hand forward into the main blade, you’ll understand

The scoring saw blade is easy to miss as it doesn’t stick up much, and is small, so a guard is a good idea….Regards, Rod.
    I was primarily thinking about dust control, not hand protections, seeing how the benefits of a slider is that you move a table verse the piece - but I definately see your points. Now that I see them, I feel foolish.

Erik - I'm still not following the Felder issue with not selling the overhead gaurd. What does price point have to do with it? If I'm a customer willing to buy one, why can't I? Will it not work with the Hammer line? And to clarify, I'm talking about the optional, overhead guard that lists for about $1500 (but currently on sale for roughly $1000).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Erik - I'm still not following the Felder issue with not selling the overhead gaurd. What does price point have to do with it? If I'm a customer willing to buy one, why can't I? Will it not work with the Hammer line? And to clarify, I'm talking about the optional, overhead guard that lists for about $1500 (but currently on sale for roughly $1000).
    Michael, my personal opinion is that it's a marketing/branding decision. The overhead guard could be considered a "premium" feature and they want you to level up in order to be able to get the more "premium" feature. Just like various trim or equipment packages in the automotive sales world. For example, PowerDrive being only available on Felder and Format-4 machines. Sure, it could probably be done for a Hammer jointer/planer but they want to create space between the brands from a marketing standpoint. Just my thoughts.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Michael, to clarify the comment about the scoring blade moving your hand forward toward the main blade, the scoring blade actually turns in that direction...the opposite of the main blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To Erik..... Kinda like, Lipstick on a pig?

Can't have trailor trash buying Mercs.