Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey S-12S Overhead Blade Gaurd. Anyone here have it?

Harvey S-12S Overhead Blade Gaurd. Anyone here have it?

I am looking at the various overhead blade gaurds and came across this Harvey gaurd. It looks like a beast at roughly 100 pounds. I'd be curious to hear from any one who may have this device, or have ever laid hands on one. Videos and pictures only go so far......

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...overhead-guard

The issue is that the mounting post needs to be easily removed and the hardware below the table if you ever want to have a workpiece extend past the mount.

When I put the Excelsior guard on my machine I made sure that it does that.

I often have solid wood pieces that need the overhead guard removed for cutting to length.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Make sure the guard covers both the main and scoring blades, I had to purchase a guard for a 14” saw to fit.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-17-2022 at 3:01 PM. Reason: Added post script

Michael, if you end up ordering one for your saw, please share pics. I've had this particular guard mentioned to me a few times lately but yet to see one actually installed. Thanks,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks Rod. Good point. One point for the Grizzley. It has it's own stand.

Erik - will do, should I go this route. I'm curious to why the Felder piece can't be ordered for use with the Hammer machines? Can't it be modified to work with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    ...I'm curious to why the Felder piece can't be ordered for use with the Hammer machines? Can't it be modified to work with them?
    Michael, I'm certain it's due to price point.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I also have studied the Harvey guard. Looks super nice. Problem as I understand it:no luck on sliders, due to 10" blade limitation in it's sizing, never mind the need for scoring blade coverage. Just something I read recently - here or another forum. Seems they also mentioned calling the company for options for sliders but they weren't really interested in accommodating them.
    Hoping for a real-world end user to speak up to verify this.
    As you study pics, you can see it really is tailored to their cabinet saws, so if you've got a similar, 10" blade setup, it may work for you.
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 01-17-2022 at 6:57 PM.

I've had one installed on my Hammer K3 sliding table saw for about a month now. This thing is indeed a beast, and a tad expensive, but the fit and finish on it are superb. I would say that it works better than the riving knife-mounted guard that came with the saw, but not a whole lot better under general usage. My DC hookup is a 6" drop that's split into a 5" line going into the saw cabinet and a decent length of 3" flex hose going into the overhead guard. I plan on increasing that 3" to a 4" at some point, and hoping to rig up a vertical-based hose solution (see GT Woodshop in YouTube), so perhaps that will improve performance.

As you can see in the pictures the far end of the arm sticks out between the cyclone and filter of my DC. However, it's still possible to rotate the guard out of the way when necessary (guard rotates toward front of saw). You'll also note that I'm not running the DC through the arm. While the port at the end is 4" the arm is somewhat less, and then the opening on the guard itself is even less than that. Since I already had all that 3" flex hose I'm just using that for now.

harvey.jpg

Installation wasn't overly difficult, although maneuvering that arm piece into position is tough due to its weight. I installed the mount under the right edge of my saw. I already had those 2x6 pieces mounted to the wing from back when I had a home-built cantilevered support for the 3" flex hose. I left those in place and simply attached the mounting post bracket to them with lag bolts. I did have to drill new holes into the horizontal part of the bracket to make things line up for my needs, but that was easy. I also didn't use the little triangular support leg that comes with the unit and instead screwed the adjustable foot directly into the bottom of the post (it was already pre-tapped for that purpose).

mount.jpg

The guard portion is large enough for 12" blades (that's a 10" blade raised to maximum height in the picture), but I'm pretty sure it won't fully cover a scoring blade on my saw. That's okay with me though, as I rarely use the scoring blade.

harvey2.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Thanks Steve! I'm not all that concerned whether it covers the scoring blade. Not sure what the point in doing so is anyway, as it doesn't cut through the piece. Or am I missing something?

Does the Harvey come with a piece that will make it wider for angle ripping, like the Felder and/or SCM units do?

Thanks Steve! I'm not all that concerned whether it covers the scoring blade. Not sure what the point in doing so is anyway, as it doesn't cut through the piece. Or am I missing something?

Does the Harvey come with a piece that will make it wider for angle ripping, like the Felder and/or SCM units do?
    You ideally want the guard to cover the scoring blade so that you don't run your hand over it when it's spinning. Scoring blades tend to "disappear" from your vision since you're so used to looking at the main blade. With the way I have this Harvey unit setup I think the scoring blade might line up with that front wheel, so I would just have to keep the guard raised up slightly when turning on the saw in that scenario.

And, yes, the Harvey unit came with a wider piece of clear plastic that you attach when making bevel cuts. I just have it stored out of the way.

The first time you run a finger into the scoring blade and it shoots your hand forward into the main blade, you’ll understand😀

The scoring saw blade is easy to miss as it doesn’t stick up much, and is small, so a guard is a good idea….Regards, Rod.

Steve, that is awesome. Thanks for posting pics. Be OK with you if I l shared a link to your post to my customers?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I've had one installed on my Hammer K3 sliding table saw for about a month now. This thing is indeed a beast, and a tad expensive, but the fit and finish on it are superb.
    Wow, that looks nice! I'm going to have to come see that thang sometime...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Steve, that is awesome. Thanks for posting pics. Be OK with you if I l shared a link to your post to my customers?

Erik
    Erik, remember, they have to be Contributors to see the photos... But it would be great for them to sign up!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Erik, remember, they have to be Contributors to see the photos... But it would be great for them to sign up!
    Ahh yes, thanks Jim. That will be my hook: "Look at THIS awesome setup. Just become an SMC contributor. No big deal and you'll love it here"

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post

Erik
    Yes, feel free to share. And when they are contributors they can see the photos.