Thread: Willow good for turning?

Willow good for turning?

A add in local classified, free wood the post said that it is thought to be willow,is this wood ok to (learn to turn) as I say. I watched a few videos turning willow and the wood looked like I had some interesting grain.

It's okay to learn on and if you can tame it, great.
    I turned quite a bit when I first started turning, It's typically lightweight and can be prone to tear out. Free wood is always welcome.
    One of my first bowls was from willow
    Willow Bowl.jpg

It can be. I was lucky to acquire some willow burl. Soft but if tools are sharp it's not bad. I assume the regular non-burl would turn in a similar way. Here is a bowl and small hollow form from willow burls.
    IMG_3103 hi res.jpgIMG_0460.jpg

Ricc

It takes super sharp tools to shear cut it when it's wet. Dull tools will just shove it around and make for fuzzy cuts. Pretty bland, but takes dye very well. I much prefer silver maple in that class of wood. Silver maple appears to be the major chosen tree in my city for quick shade. Super bountiful!

5. Here is a lidded box I made from willow, which has a quilted ash lid, and willow knob. You can see how nicely it turned out. I do agree with Richard about sharp tools. Some willow has decent figure.

willow-quilted Ash lidded box.jpg willow-quilted ash 2.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks I'll se if I can turn some if I can get some.