Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: compact random orbit sanders for turners?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For you guys using pneumatic sanders, what do you do about dust collection?
    Suck it up. Heh.

Sanding on the lathe I position the central dust flex duct pickup as close as possible to the action. I haven't seen any sanders small enough to fit inside a bowl that have an integrated dust pickup. Maybe you could rig up a small vac hose. For exterior sanding I use a larger sander with a hose connection. I also have a ceiling mounted ambient air filter and a 3m ppr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For you guys using pneumatic sanders, what do you do about dust collection?
    Jamie,
    I have a drop from my cyclone at the lathe which I can position close to the sanding but thatís not very effective. However, there is not much dust. As mentioned, I only sand after smoothing with NRS and card/hand scrapers so the surface starts out pretty smooth and there is only minimal sanding needed. Also, I run the ROS at a very low speed and with fine paper, usually 400 or 600 - no coarse sanding needed. (This method avoids the clouds of dust like I got years ago power sanding with coarse sandpaper.) However, even with gentle ROS sanding we still always wear 3M industrial respirators with P100 filters.

I should add that I donít use the sanders all the time. Sometimes I do most or all of the sanding on a bowl or platter by hand but even then I wear a dust mask or respirator. My lungs were not that great long before I started working with wood!
    JKJ

The ProS from Woodturner's Wonders is my go to sander. I also have the Chinese type pictured earlier in this thread, and 2 Greg pistol grip sanders. With the WW -you can regulate the speed - tho it is VERY touchy...And the air consumption is pretty low for an air powered sander. It is compact - more than any pictured in this thread. And it is light. The only complain I have with it is the palm activated switch. No matter how many times I have used it over the last 3 years...I STILL trigger it when fumbling around changing sandpaper or just in general. It can't hurt you - but it will test your bladder......😉😁

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Tucker View Post
    The only complain I have with it is the palm activated switch. No matter how many times I have used it over the last 3 years...I STILL trigger it when fumbling around changing sandpaper or just in general. It can't hurt you - but it will test your bladder......
    This is true - I've surprised myself more than once! It would be nice if there was more resistance in the trigger or even better, adjustable resistance.
    Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    - Churchill