Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitutoyo Dial Indicators Recommenation

Blog Entries
    Thoughts in what respect?

I buy mainly through McMaster-Carr and they sell real ones.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

am radio had a show years ago on offshore knock off. I was worried my Louis Vitton hand bag might be fake. They said they run 24 hours and one complete shift is for counterfeit stuff. In the US i think they said car parts just car parts was over 10 billion. I questioned a Rock Auto type supplier up here once if they had counterfeit parts and they said they make sure not but if ever any concerns to make sure we bring it to their attention. Pretty sad the whole thing.

In the lifetime accumulation of machinist tools I was left by a dear friend that passed is a 4'x7'x1'deep metal cabinet with two doors on the front full of measuring tools. Before I was left all that stuff, I bought the Deluxe A Line It kit.

When I first bought that kit, I thought I've never use all those interchangeable tips, but since then, they've proved good to have many times. I've never needed any of that machinist tooling to set up a woodworking machine. That A-LineIt kit is in my Setup toolbox, and it's done all I've needed. I have no idea even what brand the dial indicator is that's in it, but I don't care a bit. It works fine.

https://www.in-lineindustries.com/pr...ine-it-deluxe/

I have the Quinn digital calipers from Harbor Freight. Overall, I like them and seem like decent quality for ~$50. HF has improved their quality over the last few years and I'm no longer as reluctant to buy items from them. You just have to be picky and stay away from the cheapest of the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I started wondering about Mitutoyo after reading this thread:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nese-Knock-Off
    Any thoughts on that?
    JKJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thoughts in what respect?
    I buy mainly through McMaster-Carr and they sell real ones.
    That's a good idea. I wondered how commonly cheap knockoffs of top name tools were sold and how to protect against it.

JKJ

6. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's a good idea. I wondered how commonly cheap knockoffs of top name tools were sold and how to protect against it.

JKJ
    I saw this issue last week with a higher end cue ball. Scammers were purchasing the $38 que ball from a major online retailer, stuffing a counterfeit cue ball into the package and returning it for a refund. Then the counterfeit was shipped out to a new legitimate customer who wondered why it chipped and crack so easily. The counterfeit isn't even the same material. AND there's nothing they won't counterfeit, they counterfeit $10 Fender guitar neck heal reinforcement plates. (face palm) The genuine plates are chrome plated steel, the counterfeits are chrome plated pot metal. You can literally bend the counterfeit in half with your bare hands. The counterfeit plates are sold all over major online retailers.

I spent 20 years repairing and calibrating precision tools. HF indicators were just as good as Federal, Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc, as long as the movement is free and easy.

Blog Entries
    They might read similarly but most likely will fail sooner and sometimes it’s just nice to have a nicely made thing. That is why we all make things out of wood, after all, isn’t it?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

9. We will agree to disagree on HF

in electronic the cheap stuff will cost you more in the batteries it eats. You see my caliper I doubt the cheap stuff would do the years that caliper did. when it comes to measuring stuff moisture meter whatever id rather get a proven level of quality, and id rather support them than some knock off. Ever had your work knocked off before? Also find the mititoyou more comfortable to use than the two lee valley ones that I have as back ups.

I've used pretty much every quality level made. For some jobs the HF quality ones work just fine. The biggest problem I've seen with them is the spring rate isn't very consistent. Also they aren't as smooth as higher quality ones. I have all Mitutoyo ones at home as they seem to be good quality. I'm glad I bought them before having to worry about counterfeit ones. At work we use ones that are contactless so the spring pushing down the contact tip doesn't impact the measurement. Both with lasers and capacitance but they are most likely above what you would want to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    I think if you publicly advertise setting new forum records for volume of money spent on workshop/equipment to bf processed into finished work, while fail diagnosing one of the top $$ machines you can buy, it’s no surprise the grizzled vets will come out to feast on red meat.
    I wasn't aware that 1) i was "advertising" anything buy asking if anyone had a process for aligning infeed and outfeed tables on a particular model (since several users on there have done it), and 2) I doubt buying a hobby brand, Minimax, jointer/planer is setting any records anywhere, there are many users on here with Combos. I've seen many users on here discuss far more expensive equipment. Many user on here buy for the long term, more than they "need" so they can "buy once".

Imagine buying XYZ classic car for a boatload of money, not knowing how to drive stick shift and grinding gears at the car meet as the new guy. There is no hobby / activity where being clueless, highly visible, big spending new money guy goes over well.
    Just Wow. You don't really know much about me, what I'm building or have built, or what my plans are. I have been woodworking and improving my skills for 3 years, and have finished some great projects. There is no license to get and you are no gatekeeper. It is a bit sad that this is the environment this forum wants to promote. I wouldn't exactly call myself "clueless" or "new". I went from a benchtop, to a freestanding jointer, to this combo for space. I certainly don't need to justify myself to you.

If I had that kind of money I would absolutely spend it on one of those six month furniture building classes at the top schools.
    You speak from a position of ignorance and out of place.

grizzled vets will come out to feast on red meat
    Thats just a way of being elitist, a bully, and looking down upon anyone asking questions you consider "beneath yourself". When you aren't a "grizzled vet", you are going to run into situations and problems all the time that you haven't encountered. You try to resolve them and sometimes you ask for help. Along the way you learn stuff. No one knows what they don't know. Thats the nice thing about this forum, most users provide help, opinion and perspective. One day when I'm in a position of many years of experience, I hope I'm more helpful to those with less experience then calling people clueless.
    Last edited by derek labian; 01-19-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    There are 2 schools of thought on machine setup. One camp sets up things with a stick and the other setup things with a micrometer.

Amusingly both work.

It's also amusing when someone from one camp visits a shop that adheres to the other methods. Chaos and confusion follows.

Derek, For better or worse, we are a mixed group here. Notably, several of the people that responded in this and your other thread are VERY knowledgeable and well respected for their talent, experience and willingness to share. Some here have the ability to tell one to "Go to hell." in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip; others, not so much. My perception is you are taking personal offense at gruffness or direct responses, and missing the content. The content is the golden nugget, isn't it?

Your choice, of course, but i am not certain that responding to every perceived slight is productive. It may be better to take a deep breath - or several - and then, analyze without emotion the information provided - ie, look at what was said and not how it was said - and continue on the journey . . . in the shop. The keyboard can be an
    impediment to forward motion. JMHO, YMMV

I shall not be interjecting further. Best, Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick McCarthy; 01-19-2022 at 4:58 PM. Reason: typo, of course

Extremely well said ,Patrick.