Thread: Need some ideas for a photo display

Need some ideas for a photo display

Tasked with making a exterior photo display panel. Using 3/8 MDO, the photos are held in place by battens with a slight rabbet and a piece of plexiglass in front for weather protection. That much is simple and I've done it before.

However they want two rows of photos. The bottom row can't be exactly under the top row because the plexiglass and photo couldn't be lifted out as cast changes occur. The only thing I can think of at the moment is to increase the thickness of the substrate on the bottom row such that a photo being changed will clear the batten above that's holding a photo from the top row.

There MUST BE a simpler way that I'm just not seeing. Ideas anyone?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I'm not sure I understand the design clearly. Do the battens form a 3-sided frame that the photos slip into from the top? If that's the case, it seems like all you'd have to do is provide a little clearance between the bottom of the top row and the top of the second row so that the photos could slide in.

I might not be envisioning this correctly - maybe you could provide a sketch?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the design clearly. Do the battens form a 3-sided frame that the photos slip into from the top? If that's the case, it seems like all you'd have to do is provide a little clearance between the bottom of the top row and the top of the second row so that the photos could slide in.
    That's exactly the situation. The photos are top loading which means the bottom row needs to have clearance. Right at the moment I'm thinking of using top MDO secured to the wall and having the bottom MDO attached to the wall using standoffs of some type rather than using multiple layers of MDO.

Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME