Thread: Laguna 18BX mobility kit

Laguna 18BX mobility kit

Considering an 18bx for a basement and I really would benefit from it being mobile.. I have 8' ceilings but have HVAC in some spots at 79".

Spec for the 18bx says 77.75". Any one have one with the stock mobility kit that can measure it's maximum height ?

Any comments on how tippy it seems when moving it around ? My floor is poured concrete with ~1/4" grooves every 36" or 48" in a grid pattern. I move a fs41 over it mostly fine, but it's not ever going to fall over.

Thanks,
    Mark

I measured 77.5. Probably goes up another .5 or so with the mobility lift wheel engaged, but I didn't measure it. I haven't moved it much since settling on a good place for it, but I didn't find it tippy or have any trouble rolling it over the joints in the concrete. Minor tip: It's easier to put the kit on before you lift the bandsaw to vertical off the crate.

[eta:] When the top guide is all the way up, the upper guide arm pokes out a little door in the top of the column; that adds to the overall height, but only with the guide all the way up.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 01-17-2022 at 11:57 AM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I agree with Paul that the mobility kit seems stable and can handle small cracks and bumps ok. I’m very happy with the saw overall.

@Paul - Late revisit - I assumed we would go to vertical using the back of the saw where the single wheel would be installed. If I install the mobility kit before raising the saw, I would lift to vertical on the sides instead of back?

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Visconti View Post
    @Paul - Late revisit - I assumed we would go to vertical using the back of the saw where the single wheel would be installed. If I install the mobility kit before raising the saw, I would lift to vertical on the sides instead of back?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Well....I had to put my kit on after it was vertical, because it didn't arrive with the saw. But looking at the saw, the single wheel is easy to install after the saw is vertical because it bolts to the column and there's no weight on it with the lever released. It's the dual wheels that are best installed before lifting it, since to install them afterwards you have to block the saw up on that side a little to get them and the mounting bracket installed. So you can install the dual wheels and then lift from the column side and then install the single wheel. I don't remember if the leveling feet that the saw sets on when the single wheel is released are installed by the factory, but if not, you want to install them before lifting as well.

Thanks again. I plan to use movers to get the thing in my basement shop and the more I can figure out ahead of time, the less I will need to keep them waiting. I am not sure if it would be easy to tilt up to standing position without help so figure I can have them do that as well after I attach the mobility kit front wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Visconti View Post
    Thanks again. I plan to use movers to get the thing in my basement shop and the more I can figure out ahead of time, the less I will need to keep them waiting. I am not sure if it would be easy to tilt up to standing position without help so figure I can have them do that as well after I attach the mobility kit front wheels.
    You're welcome. 1 or 2 extra folks will certainly make it easier to stand it up.

fwiw

I have 14BX and have Laguna mobility kit installed. If I was doing it again with I would buy regular tool base with swivel casters on all corners.

Laguna mobility kit is eye pleasing and works as designed. I find moving th saw with 2 fixed wheels a tad difficult. Compared to BS, moving much larger SawStop on ICS base is a delight.

I have the 1412 and do not like the mobility kit as it gets kind of tippy when moving it around especially on anything other than a perfect smooth floor. One of these days I will build a regular four caster platform base for it. Just haven't taken the time to fix the one thing I dislike with the saw.

I had considered alternatives, but given I start to run into height limits of about 79" when the saw is being moved from a section of my shop to another, I like the fact it doesn't seem to add much height to the saw.