Thread: best resaw blade for flame maple on 14" 1-3/4" HP saw

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

best resaw blade for flame maple on 14" 1-3/4" HP saw

Hi all,
    I'm an aspiring guitar builder doing a lot more resawing of all kinds of woods but primarily flame maple(majority 7-8" wide but rare occasions a full 13") with the best book-match being the #1 goal. My band saw is a Jet 14" 1-3/4 HP 116" length blade and my resaw skill set is moderate/good (far from great). Aftermarket blade experience includes both 1/2" and 3/4" Woodslicer with the 1/2" having been a good all-around leave it on blade and fine for resawing softer woods but nowhere near as good(for me) as the 3/4" that I 1st put on (and likely prematurely wore out in part due to new user error). Was about to reorder a WS 3/4" but am considering others with Bimetal and Carbide as options and 'maybe' a 1" (which my Jet is suppose to be able to handle but am guessing, is probably a bit too much for 1-3/4" HP motor?). The plan is to use it only when resawing.

A few options I'm considering below but am open to other suggestions with these goals in order...
    1: clean, thin cut for best book-match (least likely to 'burn' maple)
    2: ease of use (maybe a stupid goal as I have some experience but still learning)
    3: longevity - am good paying up for this but not at a noticeable cost to #1.

* Woodslicer 3/4" 3/4 skip - $47+freight: thinnest w. variable pitch teeth for maybe cleanest, easiest cut but not as durable as others?
    * Timber Wolf 3/4" 2/3VPC .025": (would consider .035" bimetal version that I've seen a couple good reviews on, but appears discontinued at 116"): a tad cheaper and close to WS specs.
    * Lenox Woodmaster B BiMetal 3/4" 2 TPI - $31+freight: cheapest, well respected brand, possibly longer lasting w/bi-metal but thicker .035 blade with 'standard' tooth design that may not clear as well and maybe more likely to burn?
    * Lenox Tri-Master Carbide 3/4" or 1" 3TPI(skip-design) - $110+freight(same for both sizes?): most expensive with Carbide longevity and highly respected with thicker blade, initial use listed as maybe a bit more dull than the others and more reports of breakage (maybe because its highly used at longer lengths by more pros?) - is 1" even worth considering for my saw and would I be paying more for longevity at the expense better book-match performance?

Am far from any kind of 'production' (although would be nice in the future) and am good replacing the $30-50 blades more often if they have better 'early on' performance.
    Last edited by Dean Nikou; 01-17-2022 at 1:34 PM.