Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yep...We got real snow

Blog Entries
    We got 1/2”. I was so disappointed. I had Irma primed with new batteries and everything.
    AA4A877B-C3A5-4F97-A539-AE3C519B3BE7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    We got 1/2”. I was so disappointed. I had Irma primed with new batteries and everything.
    AA4A877B-C3A5-4F97-A539-AE3C519B3BE7.jpg
    Malcom, do you need to update your location or did the US Virgin Islands get snow?

It was 8ºF when we woke up yesterday morning. In the evening, we got 2.5" of snow. By 3 am, it was up to about 50ºF and raining heavily. No snow when we woke up this morning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Malcolm, some places here in Richmond got close to 2 inches.

Here in central NC, first we had snow, then sleet, followed by freezing rain, and then rain. Two counties over to the south west, they had a MAJOR freezing rain event. Thousands still without power tonight. I-95 was closed near SC border due to sagging power lines for several hours yesterday. You may have seen on national news semi truck dangling from bridge in Durham (25 miles away.)

60 degrees and extended dry/drought out here in Western South Dakota. As a skier, I'm envious of you all - stuck with manmade snow and still only 30% of runs open. We're aching for a storm measured in feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Come on northeast from Medina if your looking for snow. It is still snowing and we've almost doubled since this morning. Best guess is we're around 20" now and the wind has picked up so starting to drift.
    Starting to drift? Must be hilly and wooded there. We ended up with about 6" and if it hadn't been such a wet snow would have probably had 3 foot drifts. Here on the prairie with that kind of total you mentioned it would be drifts several feet high and plows would likely wait until the snow ended to make a real effort to open things up. That's when V plows rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    60 degrees and extended dry/drought out here in Western South Dakota. As a skier, I'm envious of you all - stuck with manmade snow and still only 30% of runs open. We're aching for a storm measured in feet.
    Believe it or not I worked nights making the white stuff 50 years ago for a relatively small ski park in central mitchigan.
    ...Here in N.E Georgia we lost power, had 52 mile an hour wind and 2-3" inches.... went to walmart supercenter for a few groceries today and id say the shelves were at 70%...no eggs?

Glad the Jetstream is pushing east again this winter

The foot of snow we had a week and a-half ago turned to ice and then rain, and now is gone. I can see my grass again.

Don't envy you folks in the east.
    Regards,

Kris

I don't envy the folks back east either. If I had their normal summer weather in my forecast I would lose my mind.

I remember flying into Seattle one Christmas, back before 2010, maybe 08 or 09. Total zoo, they had four inches of snow on the ground with 2 more inches coming down. All the flights were cancelled. The rental car counters all had "no cars available" signs on the counters out where they could be seen, but they all had people sitting there at the cash registers. I needed to get to Sacramento, so I asked. The gal at the counter asked to see my DL and said "What month does this weather remind you of?" and I said "September" and she said "We are only renting cars to Alaskans tonight."

I did make it to Sacramento on time, but I will probably die if we have +95 dF and 90% humidity in the forecast next summer. The most important thing is to stay home and eat whatever is in your freezer while you are waiting on the snowplows. About 1/3 of the staff at our local Army and Air Force bases turns over every year and we can spot those folks from half a mile away when the first snowflake hits the ground. Whether or not you are one of those folks, you don't want to be on the roads with them. Stay home. Burn charcoal (outdoors) to cook whatever you find in the freezer. I grill outdoors down to -20dF and none of you are anywhere near that. The main thing is if you feel cold, you are fine. When you are out in it and stop feeling cold, that is when frostbite is imminent and you need to get warmed up right away.

If you need grilling recipes that work good down to -20 just ask, I have a slew of them. Tell me what you got, leg of lamb, a whole turkey, no problem, we got this. Just don't get out on the roads with the yahoos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Malcom, do you need to update your location or did the US Virgin Islands get snow?
    Yes- moved to Virginia. Need to update that.

This storm just totally went around Indiana. We got about 1/2” early Saturday morning, which hung around long enough to prevent me from riding my Chieftain to the Indian Motorcycle Riders Group meeting at 11 AM. But I may ride to work this morning, depending on what the high is this afternoon. I haven’t checked yet. If it’s above freezing this afternoon, I will ride to work even if it’s as low as about 20°F.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Finally stopped falling last night, but the 50-60 mph gusts kept at it. We have ~14” here and much deeper drifts in places. No one on my street has attempted to drive anywhere for the last 2 and a half days, which is rare.
    Still waters run deep.

We got maybe an inch of snow then turned to rain. We did get 1" of rain, glad it wasn't white.

37 degrees here in Eastern Virginia this morning with a bright sunny blue sky. The big storm went around us as it came up the coast. We had a little rain and about 25 mph wind but nothing to write home about here. It's 70 degrees F in my shop this morning and I am about to go downstairs and go to work.