Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw blade failure

Tablesaw blade failure

What am I doing wrong?

The saw is a MM CU300. Blade is a Freud Premier Fusion. I purchased off Amazon.

The blade has seen VERY little use (and hour total run time??). I cut some cherry. Some white oak. All relatively small pieces (1.5in thick max)

Today I noticed 4 teeth have went missing. 4. At different points around the circumference.

Have one tooth come off on a blade years ago, but this is severe and this blade is taken out of service.

What am I doing wrong? What causes a tooth to come off?

Seems pretty unusual that 4 have gone missing, and at different positions around the dia seems not due to hitting something.

Not a cheap blade. Would return it if thats an option but wouldnt know where to send.

The main thing is to ensure I am not doing anything crazy that will repeat on the next blade. Which is....uggh... didnt want to spend $$ on another blade.

IMG_5862.jpgIMG_5861.jpgIMG_5860.jpgIMG_5858.jpgIMG_5859.jpg

What do the cut surfaces look like? Any embedded metal?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Looks to me like you definitely hit something. The tooth in the second pic for instance, it took a chunk of the "landing pad" with it, it didn't just come off the weld.

I would return it,
    You can usually find an Amazon drop off location or get an RMA.
    It looks as if the carbide broke in a couple of them, it could have just been a bad batch.
    I would also send the photos and info to Freud,
    I would say this is a rare occurrence, I've been using Freud blades exclusively for about 20 years, and I've never lost a tooth. I would definitely check what you've cut for embedded materials as James mentioned

Looks like it found a nail.

Am pretty confident I didnt hit metal. Maybe a knot (maybe, but even there nothing major). Definitely no metal in the wood given the projects I have done with it (very little use makes this easy to confirm) - the latest project being some cherry bar stools.

Can not remember binding.

As you say, does look like carbide failure more than a failed braze. Which would suggest hitting something hard. I might have expected adjacent tooth failure if hitting something but it might depend on which tooth was 'high'.

No expert here, but logically speaking, it seems that if you hit a nail or whatever the damaged teeth should be contiguous. Or am I wrong?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I’m joinin’ the posse ! They gonna haftuh make it right !

We don’t like bad brazin’ and might have to do some reaprazen on their teeth!

I've hit enough to say that there is no single way that teeth will suffer. I keep some Irwin blades for cutting questionable stuff. Often you can't tell by the outside, but you can always tell on a cut face.

Both top and bottom photos have damage on consecutive teeth. Can't see all the adjacent teeth in the other pics.

I bought a router bit from them years ago. “ One flute flew over the uncool mess”…. They sent out a good one quickly.

Blog Entries
    Sure looks like contact with something other than wood to me too. Common nails usually do not do that much damage. Drywall screws are good at taking a tooth off. Some of the steel disc is shaved off too. I guess that could have been done by the dislodged carbide? Nice images by the way. Sorry about your blade.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I've chipped teeth on knots before. It was 200+ yr. old pitch pine , so they were like iron. And it's not unusual for multiple teeth to get lost - whether via faulty brazing -or- striking something harder than the wood.

Your last pic leads me to believe you hit something too. Bad brazing would not have caused the tooth to shatter like shown.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    It could be one tooth cracked off and the others hit it
    Knots do sometimes break teeth, especially the thin kerf blades

I have that blade and have not had that problem. One tooth looks like a failure with the braze. I can not tell with the others. I would contact Freud and ask them to analyze the failures. Because it is a high ATB the teeth are somewhat fragile as they are not well supported at the tip

I do not use it on thick cuts because it has low side clearance. I use a glue line rip for thicker material