Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mesquite vase...critiques wanted

All in all...I like it very much Curtis. Been goofing around with different forms and I've painted some stuff flat black as Mr. Becker suggests....Also have spent some time on Archaeological websites to look at different Roman, Egyptian and Greek forms. It seems there is a wide range of desireable forms but all having pleasurable curves flowing from out to in. Sometimes I just view for an hour or so, to get into the "feel" of them.

Sorry...Just rambling and typing at the expense of your thread.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck
    Thanks everyone for the good feedback and nice comments. I am pretty proud of this piece since it is my best work to date.

Actually, the top rim started out a bit larger but due to a little catch, it ended up the size it is!

As for the base, to me, in person, it looks just right. Now I do tend to prefer things with a little more substance so I am a little biased. The pecan vase I posted a while back has a much smaller diameter base and to me it looks top heavy. On the next one I do, I will try making the base smaller as most of you suggest and see how I like it.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Curtis, sometimes the design also depends on the expected use of the piece. If this piece is to stand on it's own as a decorative piece, then a small base would look nice. However, if it is to be used to hold a dried arrangement, the larger base would add needed stability. The difference is between "art" and "utility". JMHO One thing I have noticed since I began turning - a lot of men seem to prefer heavier pieces and wider bases. Mars and Venus, perhaps?

Curtis, I think overall, it is very nice work. The wood is beautiful, as is the form and execution. A winner in my book, ya done GOOD!

Looks good to me, Curtis.

Bruce

Curtis, I am not sure that the base needs to be smaller. I think if it were tucked in a little at the bottom it would be just right. The eye of the beholder thing, I guess. I like it.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Looks nice Curtis. Never heard of that finish, but it came out very nice. I prefer a smaller base... not that I accomplish what I set out to all the time.

It looks great though like it is.

Ernie