Thread: Warrior/ Harbor Freight 12volt drill.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Warrior/ Harbor Freight 12volt drill.

I know its a cheap Harbor Freight drill but..............

Anyone have experience with this cheap HF drill?
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-co...kit-57366.html

I can use a drill for work. We have 18 volt DeWalts available to us. Just want something to keep in my tool box so I dont have to go and get the company's drills (If they are not being used)

Stuff I work on often just needs the paint taken out of a threaded hole. A hole or two drilled and tapped for a #10 screw.

I like the compact 12volt size because it often have to work in tight places. Its cheap so if it walks off the job, no big loss.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-16-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

No experience with HF cordless. You just missed the time to buy cordless, between Black Friday and Christmas. A couple years ago I bought a Makita 12v drill and driver combo at Home Depot for $99. The set is the most used in my shop.

I have a bunch of the Bauer cordless outdoor tools plus an impact driver and circular saw. Very pleased with them, especially for the money. While I'm not familiar with that Warrior branded tool, I see no harm in trying it for your stated purpose. If you don't like it, they will take it back, too. I'm honestly a believer in the lighter-weight Drill/Drivers for shop work and a lot of home improvement tasks. They are more compact and weigh less which makes them easier to use when the power they have is appropriate for the work. My workflow pretty much revolves around them and the heavier tools are only pulled out when the higher power is necessary for the task at hand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use my 18v DeWalt for drilling and tapping brass, mostly for #8 and #12 threads, and it is great for that. I have no experience with the Warrior drills, but I remember years ago using someone else's Drill Master (which was an HF brand then, though it may not be now) drill and finding that it seemed very weak. That was a less-than-$20 cordless drill at the time, so may not be a fair comparison.

Went to HF today for some other stuff. I made sure to look at that drill for you. It is lightweight but a slight step up from the $12 one. Small diameter motor. I think it has brushes. The $40 versions are a little better but not twice as good.
    I think it is worth it for your uses. I would buy a spare battery while they still carry them.
    Bill D

Buy it this weekend at 30% off sale.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Went to HF today for some other stuff. I made sure to look at that drill for you. It is lightweight but a slight step up from the $12 one. Small diameter motor. I think it has brushes. The $40 versions are a little better but not twice as good.
    I think it is worth it for your uses. I would buy a spare battery while they still carry them.
    Bill D
    Thanks for taking the time.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My son bought a HF 1/2" drill and was drilling 1/4" holes in 1/8" steel with it using a new 1/4" bit. The first three holes went quickly. The next two went slower because the drill was slowing down. The sixth hole stopped the drill with only partial completion. The drill and battery had also become too hot to touch. He took it back, went to Lowes and bought the same size battery operated drill and finished the 60 or so holes that needed to be drilled using the same drill bit and only one fully charged battery. Need I say more?

HF electrical tools do not impress me. They have great bargains, but their electrical power tools are not impressive.

Charley

I bought the Dewalt 12V drill and impact driver for my portable bag. They have good power, and the batteries charge with the same charger as the 20V batteries. Plus, the 12V batteries work in other Dewalt 12V tools I have, like my laser level. I find I use the 12V for most household tasks, too, and reserver the larger 20V units for more heavy-duty tasks, like 2 1/2" and longer screws or drilling concrete.

No experience with this one.
    Based on what you posted I would buy it without a second thought for use at work
    I would look into the extended warranty for it, not certain how much it would be
    Ron

While I believe in buying a better tool, like a Milwaukee M12; for your use, I'd suggest a Riobi. They have a pretty good rep for holding up to long time use by homeowners & you can get other cheap tools in the same battery line for other tasks, as needed. Plus they have a warranty that you don't have to pay extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I know its a cheap Harbor Freight drill but..............

Anyone have experience with this cheap HF drill?
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-co...kit-57366.html

I can use a drill for work. We have 18 volt DeWalts available to us. Just want something to keep in my tool box so I dont have to go and get the company's drills (If they are not being used)

Stuff I work on often just needs the paint taken out of a threaded hole. A hole or two drilled and tapped for a #10 screw.

I like the compact 12volt size because it often have to work in tight places. Its cheap so if it walks off the job, no big loss.

Thought I would give an update to my post.
    I went to Harbor Freight to take a look at the 12 volt drill and found out the also have a cheap 18Volt.
    I picked up the 18 volt for $27.99 and it works better than one would think for the price. Perfect for my needs as listed in my original post.
    It is variable speed but does not have a high/low gearing. Top speed is 900 rpm if I remember correct???
    Spare battery is available for $19.99 so I may just pick up another drill with battery for $8.00 more. But one battery is more than enough for my needs and can keep charged up between use even with the S L O W charger. About 4 hrs.
    This will never replace an everyday use drill but is a good choice for a second drill in in shop.

Harbor Freight drill 18volt.jpg
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thought I would give an update to my post.
    I went to Harbor Freight to take a look at the 12 volt drill and found out the also have a cheap 18Volt.
    I picked up the 18 volt for $27.99 and it works better than one would think for the price. Perfect for my needs as listed in my original post.
    It is variable speed but does not have a high/low gearing. Top speed is 900 rpm if I remember correct???
    Spare battery is available for $19.99 so I may just pick up another drill with battery for $8.00 more. But one battery is more than enough for my needs and can keep charged up between use even with the S L O W charger. About 4 hrs.
    This will never replace an everyday use drill but is a good choice for a second drill in in shop.

Harbor Freight drill 18volt.jpg
    That seems like something that would be suitable for Harry/Harriet Homeowner, Someone who drills a dozen holes a year. 900 RPM would be a touch slow for small bits though.