Thread: Cabinet Painting with SW Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel

Cabinet Painting with SW Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel

I used this to paint my son's 90's oak kitchen cabinets. We stripped the cabinets, sanded, Aquacoated, sanded more, primed......

I used a 311 tip, very lightly thinned. It painted better than any water based that I've used. It leveled beautifully, dried hard, looks great.

The problem is, this stuff is super hard to find, especially in satin.

What are you guys using? Alternatives?

Yeah, availability is a problem but it's great stuff and worth hunting for. If you can get gloss or any sheen, really, you can add waterborne flatters to it to cut the sheen to whatever you want. Hood Finishing sells waterborne flatters. I bought a gallon a few years ago and have enough for I think will be forever.

BM's Advance is a reasonable alternative; it's a hybrid emulsion, too. However, it takes a lot longer to dry and cure which is why I really favor Emerald Urethane. If you are using an airless rig you might consider SW's ProClassic. It should spray really well for you. It dries and cures quickly and is pretty durable.

John

My two SW stores have plenty of satin, but haven't had semi-gloss in I forget how many months. I was forced to use something else, which was very dissappointing. I thought about getting a gallon of gloss, and a gallon of satin and mixing them, but there was only a young, inexperienced guy when I asked about it. I don't really like to add stuff normally.

I thought about getting a gallon of gloss, and a gallon of satin and mixing them, but there was only a young, inexperienced guy when I asked about it. I don't really like to add stuff normally.
    It should be fine. Make sure you work up small samples and keep track of the ratios.

I've mixed a river of flat/gloss to make semi gloss over the last 50 years & never had an issue.
    Of course, that was then and now is now & who knows what differences there are today.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I'm past that job now, but may very well try it if this situation ever comes up again, which I doubt it will.