Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal clearvue vs Oneida 5hp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I would not buy a single phase dust extractor for a bet, it is an archaic and limited idea and should be done away with seeing we have cheap VFD's now available. I run my CV 1800 at 70hz and it rocks, has soft start and low current start requirements and if I choose to I can slow it down if needed. In Oz every CV I have sold or know of except for two is run by a VFD and adding remote control is a simple 5 minute exercise. Want to run an automatic blast gate system? then a VFD is your friend.

As for 90hz, would a normal three phase motor be happy at that speed? I limit to 70 hz after chatting to Bill Pentz and seeing two episodes of solid objects getting into the impeller housing and the damage caused. One only needed the wrapper around the impeller repaired and one had severe impeller damage and it was this possibility that caused BP to caution about going above 70hz. Another thing I think will be pertinent to impeller speed is what speed does the impeller efficiency fall off at.

The CV Max was invented to achieve at 50hz in countries outside the US the same airflow as the 1800 achieved at 60hz. That was pre VFD days and today the need might be re-assessed. It only became feasible to sell the CV in Oz because affordable VFD's became available but it took Oneida to recognise the advantages VFD's gave to dust extraction operation.
    While I do think this could be a interesting project, I know that projects sit around in my shop for quite a while. Running the ductwork will be enough of a project to take on since right now I have a mobile unit I wheel around. I would prefer to just buy a plug and play unit for these reasons. If I had the time and found a decent used cyclone I would definitely consider a project like this. I did miss out on a 3 phase cyclone that sold at a auction near me for a measly 6$! That would have been a good candidate unfortunately I didn't see it in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    I have the 5HP Dust Gorilla Pro with the 50 gallon drum, and it works great for me. I looked at the High Vacuum but it was to tall to fit in my space with the 50 gallon drum. It’s quite tall, so might want to check the specs.
    I'd be interested to see what you think when it is up and running. I do have 12ft cellings so I don't think height will be a issue. Most seem to be less then 10ft tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    Good to know since I don't have a cnc I think that will be out of the running. I didn't look into this model as much as it was lower on the list. Thanks for the info.
    I'll be seriously considering one of the 5hp units for my new shop building once I have it. I could easily go with a 3hp but might just kick things up a notch, depending on available funding. I had a 2hp predecessor to the original Gorilla in the old shop and it kept up with things pretty well when using one machine anywhere in the shop, but once I had the CNC and was using other machines simultaneously while babysitting the CNC, the performance obviously wasn't as good.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'll be seriously considering one of the 5hp units for my new shop building once I have it. I could easily go with a 3hp but might just kick things up a notch, depending on available funding. I had a 2hp predecessor to the original Gorilla in the old shop and it kept up with things pretty well when using one machine anywhere in the shop, but once I had the CNC and was using other machines simultaneously while babysitting the CNC, the performance obviously wasn't as good.
    I'd go for it. I'm very happy with my 5HP Oneida. Really no complaints about it at all. But don't have a CNC, FWIW.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I don’t have one yet, building my expanded workshop now, but I’ve been looking at all of these and am strongly leaning towards a Harvey. Will be another 4-6 months before I buy, but the more I look the more I’m seeing good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'd go for it. I'm very happy with my 5HP Oneida. Really no complaints about it at all. But don't have a CNC, FWIW.
    Unless I decide to do something 'Very different" and buy the Harvey in combination with a little different shop arrangement, it will be one of the Oneida systems, either 3 hp or 5hp.
    --

I was considering the harvey but I ordered a harvey bandsaw months ago. I'm still waiting on the bandsaw and get no response from email, Facebook, or phone calls on the estimated shipping date. It was originally going to be shipped late December. This has made me a little leary of the harvey.

I've thought about the Harvey simply because it's different. But I'd also want to colocate it out on the floor with the tools and that might impact my workflow....maybe positively, maybe negatively. The big 'ol Oneida can go in a sound reduced closet anywhere I decide is the best place for it, just as I did in my old shop, and I'd have no worries about performance. It would effectively be my fourth system from them, if you count the used SDD I'm using in my temporary space, and I've been very happy with the product and the company. I'd even consider doing another field trip up to pick one up rather than shipping like I did for the 2hp. It was a nice experience. But maybe not. LOL
    --

I was considering the harvey but I ordered a harvey bandsaw months ago. I'm still waiting on the bandsaw and get no response from email, Facebook, or phone calls on the estimated shipping date. It was originally going to be shipped late December. This has made me a little leary of the harvey.
    I ordered a Harvey a month ago ish (can look up if you like). It came in about a week. Things may have changed though

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I ordered a Harvey a month ago ish (can look up if you like). It came in about a week. Things may have changed though
    A harvey bandsaw? I ordered mine in October I believe. I ordered the hw615. If I remember correctly the 615p had a shorter lead time but didn't have the tin coated top.

A harvey bandsaw? I ordered mine in October I believe. I ordered the hw615. If I remember correctly the 615p had a shorter lead time but didn't have the tin coated top.
    No sorry, a Harvey Dust Collector