Thread: Waste of money?

Waste of money?

This is not a topic I know anything about but got this in an email from Microcenter this morning.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...D-ED42400CCBD5

Something of interest to someone looking to dip a toe in the engraving business or a waste of $170? It looks like the motor is either 12 or 24 volt DC so underpowered? I know car starter motors are 12 volt but they only run for a few seconds at a time.

It depends on what you want to do. You can learn basic concepts of how to set-up a project and various bits, etc. You can also learn to use the cad/cam software. Also, there are other makers of such machines. Check out the youtube videos on 3018 CNC machines and you will get an idea of the capabilities of these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This is not a topic I know anything about but got this in an email from Microcenter this morning.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...D-ED42400CCBD5

Something of interest to someone looking to dip a toe in the engraving business or a waste of $170? It looks like the motor is either 12 or 24 volt DC so underpowered? I know car starter motors are 12 volt but they only run for a few seconds at a time.
    You say 12 volt like it is a bad thing. I ran 12 volt drills saws and other tools for years with no problems.

Anyone have a good example of what "GRBL Control" software might be used to drive this? TIA
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Looks like a sewing machine motor for the spindle. Looks like a 1/4" motor shaft connecting to a chuck that is about 1/4 the size of the motor. I call it a waste of money unless you just cut foam. Cutting wood would be miserably slow. You might get more info if you post it in CNC machinery instead of laser engraving.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-16-2022 at 11:29 PM.