Thread: FS - Couple of drawknives - PEXTO and G.I. Mix

FS - Couple of drawknives - PEXTO and G.I. Mix

I came into a bucket full of drawknives and my addiction wouldn't permit them to pass. So, while I do enjoy rehabbing them, I have way to many to play with and too much going on. We are having a metal roof installed on our house, I am working on parts for a couple of Windsors, and on and on. One would think I should resist the temptations put before me - but, I am weak! These are a couple that have good bones, but need some love that I just don't have the time to give.

Both of these knives have 8" blades. First, the PEXTO. PEXTO is a well recognized brand so not much need be said about that. They consistently have good metal and a nice lamination on the back. The front of the blade is heavily pitted, but the front doesn't impact the cutting ability of the knife so long as a nice, clean bevel is established. The back of the blade has some very light pitting, but I have quickly cleaned up the area on the edge, producing a very slight rounded micro bevel. I do that on all of my working drawknives as it helps with controlling a cut. The edge still needs some progressive grit work to bring it to a nice edge.

The spine of the blade has some chipping instead of being rolled over, which is what usually happens when they are hammered. I never understood why a drawknife ends up being used as a froe AND hit with a hammer instead of a mallet! Typically, the lamination on the back ends well before the spine, but I think in this case it extends all the way up causing the chipping. Related to that, I think, is an old weld visible on the back side (left side in the pic) close to the transition into the tang bend. It doesn't extend to the front. My guess is that in the process of whacking the spine while holding one handle, the transition area cracked. It is a solid weld and there shouldn't be any functional effect. You will not be able to file out the spine as it is HARD as is the edge on the knife. The handles are rough and one of the butt caps is loose. But, the handles are tight. One could easily fill the damage to the one handle with a mix of Rock Hard powder and Titebond glue. That makes a wonderful filler that is more solid than the soft wood used in drawknife handles.

Info and pics on the G I Mix knife in the next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	471674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	471673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	471675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	471676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	471677  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	471678  

Left click my name for homepage link.

Now, on the G. I. Mix knife. G. I. Mix & Co. operated out of Yalesville, Ct ., near Wallingford, CT. Info on this company is scarce, but I believe it was first in operation around 1810 by founder John Mix Garry I. Mix at which time the company was a manufacturer of bayonets for the Federal Government until about 1830. In 1854 the company was taken over by the son Garry I. Mix, and started manufacturing metal ware and flatware. About 1880 the company started producing household goods (spoons and cutlery) and carpenter tools. The company was known as a fine edge tool maker with some really interesting history.

Aside from a missing butt cap, surprisingly the handles are tight. One could locate a butt cap somewhere, or simply use a fender washer and peen the tang over on it for a cheap and permanent fix that would result in a very nice user.

The spine on this one has been hammered some, as well, but otherwise the remainder of the knife is in very good condition. I have not worked on the edge, but the bevel angle is good. The existing edge is rough, but not because of the back side. It is the surface of the bevel that is rough. I have done nothing more to this knife than clean off where the Mfg name is, but I think it will clean up rather nicely given its age of somewhere close to 140 years old.

I prefer to sell these two together because of the packing and shipping. Shipping will be around $15, so $80 shipped CONUS. Payment by personal check upon delivery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	471682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	471681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	471680  

$70 shipped.

John,

Iím not in the market for another drawknife (well, maybe a 6Ē) and I donít mean to hijack your thread, but you often reference the handle position of a drawknife as being compatible for bevel up or bevel down usage. Would you mind explaining that?

Thanks.

Stephen, email me and I will reply with my thoughts on that.

$60 shipped!! Better get them quickly.

Send Ďem. I donít smoke of drink (to excess at least) but I am addicted to things that cut.

The knives are sold!