Thread: window sash...help!

window sash...help!

I recently bought a window sash set of 1/2" shank router bits. Using the router table, I cut a trial set of 1 3/8" stiles, rails and muntins. The coping bit produced smooth results likely due to the small amount of material removed.
    The sticking bit however, produced poor results. It seems an unfortunate byproduct of the router table is inherent vibration. These procedures are normally done on a shaper but I don't have that option.
    I'm considering additional trial cuts with the table cabinet loaded with a sandbag. This solution seems rather pedestrian so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Advice appreciated, Mark

I've made many with router tables. Mine don't vibrate. They're not even normal router tables, but really just large custom bases clamped to a bench. Bit speed maybe?
    Too big of a bite?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Strange the sticking gave you fits and not the cope. It'd normally be the other way around. Tom's likely got the solution to 2 pass whichever is giving you an issue.

If a router bit vibrates straight out of the packaging, it goes back to the company that sold it. What brand are they? Never had a high quality brand vibrate, but have had some issues with some of the bargain brands. Always had good customer service and got replacements that were fine.

Dan

Did you check the grain direction? Running it against the grain can give poor results. I have a small power feed on my router tabe which allows a climb cut to be made with wood that is prone to tear out which really can help. As others have pointed out bit speed as well as feed rate can go a long way in producing a nice surface finish.

Grain direction on one stile was wrong. The bits are Infinity and appear good quality. Who makes the small power feeder? I can control feed rate but the router spins 27K only.

27,000 rpm would be too fast for my bits. I have Infinity bits for the same job and get no vibration. Sometimes I get poor results on the stick cut owing to poor wood choice or grain. Two passes should help but a power fed climb cut would probably be the sure-fire solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mark downing View Post
    Grain direction on one stile was wrong. The bits are Infinity and appear good quality. Who makes the small power feeder? I can control feed rate but the router spins 27K only.
    Mine is a powermatic that I took off my small shaper when I upgraded. There are some smaller and more cost effective units from grizzly as well as a few others. It is a nice upgrade to a router table. For a 1 1/2" diameter bit (im guessing this is close to what you are using) according to a speed chart the rpm should be around 16k.

I’ve made lots of sash . What we did to stop tear out ,where we knew it was gonna happen was round the corners . With a few pieces for
    a repair it might be done with sand paper. With a big job the pieces might be rounded by shaper climb- cut with a cutter small enough to
    not “add” to final right profile.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-14-2022 at 7:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I’ve made lots of sash . What we did to stop tear out ,where we knew it was gonna happen was round the corners . With a few pieces for
    a repair it might be done with sand paper. With a big job the pieces might be rounded by shaper climb- cut with a cutter small enough to
    not “add” to final right profile.
    The white pine we used for sash didn’t give much trouble. The method above was employed mainly for sash orders where the buyer
    demanded fir. Hope this post now makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mark downing View Post
    Who makes the small power feeder? I can control feed rate but the router spins 27K only.
    Im not a grizzly fan but they have the baby feeder clone for like 500 bucks. I would guarantee you you'll wonder why you didnt buy one sooner even with that wee bitty little feeder. Even if you had to setup your work with a back fence and spacer to 2 pass your parts and body will thank you.

Maybe the problem is in the router. What is it?

A bit of sawdust can misalign the bit. Try removing the bit, clean the collet and reinstall the bit.