Thread: Anyone making HSS/Carbide 6 degree reamers?

Blog Entries

Anyone making HSS/Carbide 6 degree reamers?

My googling is failing me at the moment. I'm looking to replace the wooden reamer commonly used for windsor chair making with a steel version of it. I much prefer steel reamers.

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for any? Machine chucking would be preferred, but if it has a handle that I can remove thats fine also.

Thanks Gents.

I did find 7 degree reamers for tie-rod ends that will likely work, but it would be nice to be in the 5-6 degree range rather than 7.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Is this what you are trying to find?

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/ali...riumph-072286/

Not sure if the sizing is what you need. This vendor has a call and ask link.

ebay has a lot of 5º taper reams listed > Bridge Pin Hole Reamer Tapered 5-degree 6 Fluted Guitar Pickup Luthier Tool B9 < They may be smaller than what you want.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-14-2020 at 5:08 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have some of those car reamers for metal work. Their sides aren't straight. They do an amazing job of enlarging holes in steel with a magnetic drill press. They turn opposite than the way the spirals run, and can shave 1" thick steel like a sharp plane iron in wood. You can also move a hole that's off target with one, while you're enlarging it, by shaving down one side.

On my to-do list, for several years down the road, I need to make at least 20 Windsor chairs. I have the reamer design, to be made by Hickory Saw & Tool, but it's in my head. I haven't drawn anything on paper, or computer, for years. I want it to have a receptacle for a drill bit on the end, so the hole can be made in one shot. I didn't find anything available at retail with the correct taper.

There are a great number of 7 degree reamers available on the ‘Net. Amazon and eBay abound with them. I’ve never seen a 6 degree. Brian, why 6 degrees and not 7 degrees?

I made a wooden 7 degree reamer a few years ago. A HSS version would be nice and, I suspect, work more easily (I also have the Veritas 12 degree version, and this is easier to use, plus stays sharp). The issue I am finding in seeking out a steel version is the upper width it can ream. I would want 25 - 30mm, and cannot find anything over 19mm. Do you have a link?

Regards from Perth

Derek

https://shawnmurphywindsorchairs.com
    No details on his site but I believe these are 6º reamers.
    I think he has an instagram post way back in his feed.

Blog Entries
    Awesome, thanks gents. Paul, I emailed him but they look to be 6 degrees to me, good pricing too.

Thanks Paul. Looks like they should serve our purposes too, and a lot cheaper than having a one-off made.

Blog Entries
    I emailed Shawn and these are 11 degree tapers. I'm using 6 degrees for posts and so I'm tempted to stick with it, I prefer a shallow taper to a quick taper.

I have a 12.8 degree taper from Lee Valley, both the one for a brace and also the machine style. That setup I've been using for legs but not for posts.

I made a few Windsor chairs in the past and made a wooden reamer to ream out the holes for the legs. The problem I had with buying a steel reamer was whether I'd keep making Windsor chairs - and I didn't. But occasionally I run into a project where I can use a reamer. I made some stools with the legs attached to the seat with reamed holes and it would have been nice to have a good, steel reamer. They work better and are easier to use than the shop-made wooden ones.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I have a wooden one now and I don’t like it.

I may switch to 11 degree for the leg joints after speaking with Shawn, debating it for the back rails since I have a tight clearance there currently.