Thread: FS - Adjustable handle drawknife - Watrous patent

FS - Adjustable handle drawknife - Watrous patent

The adjustable handles on this knife are unique. Instead of adjusting to various angles of "spread" on the handles so that one can close the knife like a pocket knife, these handles pivot front to back so the knife can be used bevel up or bevel down according to one’s preference.

On Dec 15, 1857, Richard N. Watrous of Charleston, Ohio secured a patent on this design. Milton Nobles of Elmira was a brace manufacturer in Elmira, NY and he hired Watrous. Whether that was before or after 1857 is not clear. Watrous did manufacture in his own name draw knives under this patent, but it may have been later. Most knives from this patent, however, were manufactured by Nobles Mfg Co. Somewhere around 1870 Nobles sold his business. Watrous continued to serve the succeeding companies and apparently had other tool patents. Later the patent rights were obtained by the James Swan Co. who made them, and by C. E. Jennings who made them as well.

Blade is 8" long Knife is in good, used condition with the exception of a few nicks which I did not attempt to remove as they should not affect the function of the knife. It does have one of the thickest laminations that I have seen. As always, it does come with my "patented" blade guard.

While both handles appear to be original, one of them is of less diameter, but that may have been from modification through the years as a result of damage. That handle has a small amount of rotational movement. The knife will disassemble easily and will be shipped that way.

This is a nice, workable example of a unique design. There are not a lot of these around, though they do not demand outrageous prices. The difficult part is getting one in usable condition with a good blade.

$35, plus actual shipping, only because of the one handle. Payment by personal check. I prefer to ship you the knife, and if you like it you send me a check. If you don't, then ship it back to me and pay me nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	471641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	471642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	471643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	471644  

Left click my name for homepage link.

I would like to buy this
    PM sent
    Ron

Sold to Ron! Thanks.

Left click my name for homepage link.

received in better than described shape
    check set out in the mailbox today