Thread: Mystery Scroll Chuck

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Mystery Scroll Chuck

IMG_4038.jpg IMG_4040.jpg
    Does anyone know what brand scroll chuck this is? I bought it at an estate sale and it would be helpful if I knew more about it. It seems to be well-made but doesn't have any visible markings on it. Here's what I know:
    • The format does not match either One-Way or Nova, so finding duplicate jaws would seem to be difficult.
    • The hex screws are larger than most other chucks.
    • It has a closed back and an integral 1'x8 tpi thread with no insert.
    • The barrel measures four inches across.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russell -- That looks like one of PSI's no-name chucks that PSI used to sell a few years ago. I bought one and the tommy bars had that kind of handle on them. Like yours, mine doesn't have any identifying information on it.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Russell -- That looks like one of PSI's no-name chucks that PSI used to sell a few years ago. I bought one and the tommy bars had that kind of handle on them. Like yours, mine doesn't have any identifying information on it.
    Could you do me a favor and measure the hole spacing? Perhaps I can buy more jaws for it if I know it's a PSI chuck.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have an exact mate to your chuck, have no idea where it came from or even how I ended up with it. I think it might be a "Wen" at least it looks like 1 of theirs

[QUOTE=Russell Neyman;[URL="tel:3168268"]3168268[/URL]]IMG_4038.jpg IMG_4040.jpg
    Does anyone know what brand scroll chuck this is? I bought it at an estate sale and it would be helpful if I knew more about it. It seems to be well-made but doesn't have any visible markings on it. Here's what I know:
    • The format does not match either One-Way or Nova, so finding duplicate jaws would seem to be difficult.
    • The hex screws are larger than most other chucks.
    • It has a closed back and an integral 1'x8 tpi thread with no insert.
    • The barrel measures four inches across.

The screws in my One-Way Talon chuck are larger than those in my Nova chucks. It might be a Talon. I’ll follow this thread. If you measure the screw spacing, I’ll compare that to my Talon jaws.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I've concluded it's a Wen chuck, the type often sold at big box home improvement centers. I can't find any alternative jaws sets that will fit this. My hope is to pass it on to one of my woodturning students, but a chuck with only one set of jaws is of limited use.

Russell Neyman

The bolts spacing on my Penn State Ind chuck is a tad over 3/4".