Thread: Is This Just Portland?

Blog Entries

Is This Just Portland?

Portland, Oregon may seem weird to some folks. Many of the locals want to keep it that way.

Keep Portland Weird.jpg

There are signs like this in various parts of town.

Portland is definitely a beer town. At one time, in recent years, the Portland, OR metropolitan area was the second highest in breweries per capita in the world. During the summer months, before covid, there were multiple beer events on various weekends.

What was discovered yesterday is there is actually a tasting doughnut tour > https://www.viator.com/tours/Portlan...d5065-146896P1

Mmmmm Doughnuts.jpg

Voo Doo Doughnut started in Portland and has expanded to more locations across the continent:

Voo Doo Doughnut.jpg

It wouldn't be a doughnut tour in Portland if it didn't visit a Voo Doo Doughnut shop > https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/doughnuts/

Any other folks know about doughnut tours in their town?

It looks like Portland is not only a beer lovers town, it is a doughnut lovers town. Beer and doughnuts? I'm gonna need bigger pants and belts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There's also a "Keep Austin Weird" movement in Texas. If you want to see a satire of weird Portland, watch the TV show "Portlandia" with Fred Armisen. I dont remember what network it was on but worth a look, if you have a weird sense of humor.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    There's also a "Keep Austin Weird" movement in Texas. If you want to see a satire of weird Portland, watch the TV show "Portlandia" with Fred Armisen. I dont remember what network it was on but worth a look, if you have a weird sense of humor.
    After viewing a few episodes of Portlandia it just didn't hold my attention. Maybe if it had been watched from the beginning.

It may also be having lived in the San Francisco area for close to 60 years my senses were already used to weird.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tucson used to be weirder, I miss that.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Here in Vancouver we have a craft brewery calked Fuggles and Warlock with the slogan "Keeping beer weird" they make beers like "Beam Me Up Milk Stout" , "Dark Cow Chocolate Hazelnut Stout", The Last Mango Wit" and Biere de Garde Blueberry Vanilla Ale" among others.