Thread: I'm remaking some drawers

I'm remaking some drawers

We have several drawers in our bathroom that were made too shallow, I'm going to make new sides and bottoms to increase the length. The drawers are put together with a 'special' device. My questions are what is this device called and where can I get them, please see the pictures.

DSCN1363.jpg

DSCN1362.jpg
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Personally, I would drop the little plastic piece and rebuild them with more traditional construction techniques. If you don't want to mess with dovetails (I wouldn't want to mess with dovetails) you might want to look at a drawer lock joint or similar:

https://www.rockler.com/drawer-lock-...4aAqBJEALw_wcB

You can even use simple butt joints that are glued and screwed at the back of your drawers...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like a knockdown connector (https://www.woodsmith.com/article/7-...m-kd-fittings/) shown below. Fast if you're building lots of drawers but not the strongest way. I don't think they're very common for drawer construction.
    drawer_lock.jpg

Thanks for the information, more curious about the name then actually buying any, glue and screws, as Jim suggested is probably how I will do it.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Blog Entries
    I would suggest that you use locking rabbet joints for attaching the front and back to the sides. The joints are fairly easy to make and you don't need anything other than a table saw to make them.
    locking rabbet joint.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd consider just stretching the existing drawers. Saw off the back few inches and but join a splice piece into them. Add dominos or splines if the strength worries you.

OTOH you might want to do it right in which case it's a bigger but more satisfying project.