Thread: Goodell Pratt decal

Goodell Pratt decal

I have acquired an old Goodell Pratt #7 breast drill, and it needs a little restoration. Problem is … it has a partial decal on the gear wheel, and i would like to either retain or replace it. I have searched several places, and posted this question on other forums. Does anyone know where i can get a new decal? Probably not NOS, but a repro.

The rusted drill is mine, the clean one is a clip off an ebay ad.
    3A2FA85F-6113-47DE-BC9C-41BA2FC9F7E4.jpgDAA64165-87B8-4734-91A8-DBC523B60A44.jpgC4369FD0-31A5-4E00-BD30-D7F615B4D9C4.jpg

The decal on my #477 is about gone, as well

Tool Chest Tour, Drill details.JPG
    So...I'll be watching this...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

If you have the skill and equipment, this should help:
    http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/CreatingDecals.ashx

Blog Entries
    Wow Stephen, thanks for posting this.

I use to work in the silkscreen printing industry. That is how water transfer decals used to be made. Many have since been printed on pressure backed adhesive material since it takes a few less printing steps and they are not as fragile.

looking at the original image it would have been at least three screens and four print runs to produce a good water transfer decal.

Fortunately the background color looks to be a light ochre. My first quick glance made me think it was a metal powder color that is easy to do using a silk screen process but doesn't work with ink jet printers.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-08-2023 at 4:06 PM. Reason: changed wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)