Thread: Unusual hackberry question

Unusual hackberry question

Thanks to an EF2 tornado, I now have a 16ft hackberry log split lengthwise approximately 3/4 and 1/4. Flat side is +/- 12 inches wide. Split with the grain but instead of being flat, it is rippled with the difference between peaks and valleys between 1/2 and 3/4 in. Unique look and would like to save it. Looks like ripples on a pond or stream. Concept is to coat with clear epoxy to create a flat surface after drying and then slab to a std thickness. How should I cut and dry the log before coating with epoxy? TIA.

Blog Entries
    I have my dads old Woodmizer sawmill and have processed some Hackberry. It is a sustainable wood that I am very fond of. A log needs to be turned into boards as quickly as possible. A Woodmizer could work well for trying to create useable lumber from a log with a split face. Get it sawed up, then follow standard procedures for stickering and air drying, followed by kiln drying. This could produce useable wood. Others can advise on the epoxy.

Straight and flat is overrated. How about keeping the ripples? Split it into planks with wedges then make table legs and picture frames. It would make a table apron that would demand attention at dinner.

Can you post a picture?

Blog Entries
    I am suggesting the use if a portable bandsaw mill so the split fact can be saved. I am working on a jig for doing just that. Version 2 will be much heftier. I tossed the split face on the ground in the video. I picked it up and put it with the rest of the billet in the drying room followed by the kiln. This wood shows in some images I put on the sustainable wood social group page.

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-13-2022 at 8:00 PM.

Tornado damaged logs are usually filled with cracks. The wind is rotary and that puts a lot of stress cracking in the wood. Logs left intact to dry will be full of cracks and bugs. Slab off what you want, remove the bark, and then let it air dry. Don't be in a hurry with the epoxy, it won't stick to damp wood. It could be a couple year project if you don't have access to a kiln.

Blog Entries
    Hackberry is not the prettiest wood but it is very tough. It is also a great survivor. We have several that were knocked down by other trees that high winds that took out. One small hackberry held up a very big, dead Black Locust that tried to crush it and failed. They refuse to give up on being trees. I will get some images next time I go to the woods. : )

Blog Entries
    I just sawed the split face off of a chunk of firewood that reminded me of this thread. I have a request for a railroad theme piece and the split face looks a bit like an old railroad tie so I am going to see if I can incorporate it. (shabby not necessarily sheik is not my thing but it is a commemorative piece so we will see).

IMG_0797.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-30-2022 at 6:43 PM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I like the split surface and the client does too. I have another request from the consignment shop in the touristy whistle stop rail trail town close by. It will be interesting to see what she thinks regarding price.

IMG_0799.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice