Thread: Overhead TS guard

Overhead TS guard

Got the overhead guard setup in the new workspace. A few years ago in the old shop I mounted this overhead on a cantilever (just a plywood box construct). This time I went across the ceiling, and under the garage door.

It runs 4" duct to a 6" main. Choked down at the guard to 2.5". The guard itself I bought as replacement parts from the Grizzly overarm, but I was never too keen on the floor standing units so went overhead instead.

Still some adjusting to do, but hoping it works as well as previous. It is good to have the guard back on, and some added dust collection (the messiest machine for me is still the TS - in part because it is the most often used machine.

IMG_4369.jpgIMG_4368.jpgIMG_4370.jpg

(not my motorcycle in the background, just taking up shop space for a friend. But IS my mess in the background...due for a cleanup. I have a problem with horizontal surfaces...)

Nice job Carl. I've found my overhead guard to be far superior to the riving knife mounted version that came with the saw.

I ran 4” I found reducing to 2 1/2 really degraded suction.

You are a step ahead of me

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Got the overhead guard setup in the new workspace. A few years ago in the old shop I mounted this overhead on a cantilever (just a plywood box construct). This time I went across the ceiling, and under the garage door.

It runs 4" duct to a 6" main. Choked down at the guard to 2.5". The guard itself I bought as replacement parts from the Grizzly overarm, but I was never too keen on the floor standing units so went overhead instead.

Still some adjusting to do, but hoping it works as well as previous. It is good to have the guard back on, and some added dust collection (the messiest machine for me is still the TS - in part because it is the most often used machine.

IMG_4369.jpgIMG_4368.jpgIMG_4370.jpg

(not my motorcycle in the background, just taking up shop space for a friend. But IS my mess in the background...due for a cleanup. I have a problem with horizontal surfaces...)

You are one step ahead of me. First I changed to a vacuum attached to my sawstop over blade guard. Then I removed the guard and added a grizzly overarm guard as you did. I too am not happy with the floor space and the horizontal arm coming in. I don't move my saw so I am going to copy your idea of coming down from above.

Nice job. What brand/model is the blue reducing fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Nice job. What brand/model is the blue reducing fitting?
    That reducer I printed on the 3D printer. Also the one connected to the guard. So a custom I guess you would say

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    That reducer I printed on the 3D printer. Also the one connected to the guard. So a custom I guess you would say
    Durn. No 3D printer in my toolbox.