Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong - Spraying Exterior Latex

Woah, why is the paint drying "all throughout the gun"? That should only happen if you disassemble the gun and don't clean it. Waterborne products are about the easiest thing to clean. Dump out the cup, flush water and/or soapy water through the cup and gun, then disassemble and clean out what remains inside the gun with warm soapy water. Reassemble and blow some air through it. It takes 5 or 10 minutes, start to finish.

I clean off the air cap and tip of the needle after each spray session, but only clean the gun at the end of the day. There's no need to unless you are spraying something that's catalyzed with a short pot life or the finish has something in it that settles out very quickly.

John

Really more paint all inside the gun, not drying, though there were some dried spots.

I've been cleaning out the gun, and air cap after every spraying. Then spraying water through it. Takes more than 5-10 minutes.

Haven't tried hot water and soap. I'll try that next.

Using 3M PPS system, so the cups fortunately a non-issue.
    - When God closes a door, he opens a window. Our heating bill is outrageous & six raccoons got in last night. Please God, this has to stop!
    - Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

I clean my gun only at the end of the day. If you open the needle wide open water will flush out most of the paint inside the gun before you disassemble it. I wasn't kidding when I said it's a 5 - 10 minute job. Remove the nozzle and needle, flush the internals again, brush out the internals with soapy water and flush, clean the inside of the nozzle with a brush and soapy water and flush, wipe the needle clean, and reassemble.

If it's taking a lot longer there must be something unique about your gun.

John

Alan, I rinsed and reused the PPS cup liners, too. I've had the tool for something like three years and am only on my third cup with the previous one still usable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Same here. The liners and lids last a really long time with waterbornes. When I clean the gun at the end of the day, but plan to spray the same stuff the next day, I remove the PPS cup from the gun and put a plug in the lid. There's no need to clean it out between uses, although I do remove the lid and stir the contents the next day before spraying to make sure everything is well mixed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I clean my gun only at the end of the day. If you open the needle wide open water will flush out most of the paint inside the gun before you disassemble it. I wasn't kidding when I said it's a 5 - 10 minute job. Remove the nozzle and needle, flush the internals again, brush out the internals with soapy water and flush, clean the inside of the nozzle with a brush and soapy water and flush, wipe the needle clean, and reassemble.

If it's taking a lot longer there must be something unique about your gun.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I only use waterborne finishes and that very occasionally occasionally includes "house paint" type products. I use hot water right from the tap in the kitchen sink and have never had an issue with cleaning my gun(s). Should something actually be dried, a solvent cleaner can be used, but I try to avoid that by cleaning immediately once the job is done.
    OK guys. Feeling pretty dumb right about now. I'm so used to spraying solvent based finishes, I never thought of just running hot water from the sink in the gun. The opening up the tip wide open trick works great too. I'm sure this is all old news to both of you, but it was eye-opening for me. And thanks so much for the suggestions. Worked great when I tried it this evening. Much quicker and cleaner.

I have been reusing the PPS cup for this latex job and capping it, but otherwise have gone through a number of them when spraying lacquer.

I did change the filter cap on the PPS cup the next morning. Is that even necessary?
    - When God closes a door, he opens a window. Our heating bill is outrageous & six raccoons got in last night. Please God, this has to stop!
    - Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.