Thread: Wooden Gum Ball Machines

Wooden Gum Ball Machines

One of my holiday projects this year was to make three of these Gum Ball machines. One for each of my daughters and one for Chris Jenkins daughter. My Dad and I made a couple of these 30 years ago, however I made some improvements to the design for these three machines. The original plans for this project came from The Woodworkers Journal Magazine in 1991. Something that makes these special is that the black cherry wood came from a tree that was originally at the corner of my barn that was damaged in a storm a year ago. My good friend Chris Jenkins milled the logs and kiln dried the lumber for me.

Gumball Machine_1642.jpg

It's rare I know, but even a sign maker gets to do a little wood working on occasion

Those are really cool, Keith. You're putting that cherry to good use. From tree to treasure...right on the homestead!

Very Nice! ...made a few gumball machines with my Dad too ...yeah let's just say 30+ years ago ;-)

Blog Entries
    Nice set of gumball machines. One question, how are the ramps attached to the sides?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Keith

Very well done and a good idea for my great grandson. I am really trying to get back to doing a little small project woodworking and this fits the bill.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The gum ball machines make nice gifts that will last for many decades. My daughters have had many "discussions" concerning which one will inherit the original machine made in 1991. A 55 gallon drum of gum balls wouldn't hold the gum that has been though this machine

Gumball Machine 01.jpg

I hope that the new machines will end the confrontation and that one of the three gum ball machines will be given to my grand daughter.
    (My Secret) - I cut the parts for a forth gum ball machine but don't know if I will ever assemble it. I did this because I have sworn that I will never make another one again.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-14-2022 at 10:26 AM.

I have found that swearing and woodworking go together.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7