Thread: Can Anyone Identify this Logo?

Can Anyone Identify this Logo?

This logo is from an old tool. Looks like the stamp slipped when it was struck and only one end came out clear.

I can make out the "& Sons" and "England" but that's about all. Looks like 8 characters in the first part of the name, with the last character being "S".

Mike

Unknown-logo.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Marples & Sons? What kind of tool is it?

It's a lock mortise chisel.

Was Marples an "& Sons"?

Some previous posting about lock mortise chisels reminded me that I had an old one so I dug it out. I hadn't noticed the logo before.

Mike

Drawer Lock Chisel-01.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-13-2022 at 8:14 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Here's a chisel...maybe?

image_67211009.jpg

Yes they were as exemplified above.

Marples would fit the blurred part of the logo, and made in England matches.

Thanks,
    Mike

I wouldn't have known that until this week. Earlier this week, I was considering some old tools and the guy had a set of Marples chisels with boxwood handles. There was only one with that mark but I'd never seen it or heard of Marples & Sons either. His $300 asking price was too rich for me. :0(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This logo is from an old tool. Looks like the stamp slipped when it was struck and only one end came out clear.

I can make out the "& Sons" and "England" but that's about all. Looks like 8 characters in the first part of the name, with the last character being "S".

Mike

Unknown-logo.jpg
    That looks like it could be very worn W Marples and Sons stamp. It even looks like there is a shamrock there.

The Marples family was rather large and wide spread. My dovetail gauges (?) are marked Joseph Marples. My understanding is there were a few different Marples in business making tools and they were related.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)