Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who can’t stand Facebook Marketplace?

The sales groups for specific areas tend to be fruitful for me to (largely) sell or free-cycle. They seem to be better behaved than the general marketplace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think fb like many online sellers, like home depot and lowes, do not bother with a useable search engine because they think people just want to buy something, anything. If a customer searches for a particular item and can not find it they might not come in and spend money on something else.
    FB is slightly different they want to make searches long and frustrating so you see their paid ads for longer times. They have to keep it as hard and slow as possible but still sightly useable so you keep on trying.
    I have given up online with Home depot or lowes. Their search engine s are backwards. The more limits I place on a search the more results I get. If I say "-particle board". I get every thing that has particle board in it. WHen logic says those should not be shown.
    Bill D

Keep in mind, Bill, that FB Marketplace is generally for used goods sold by individuals or small businesses. Just another version of "Craig's List" in that respect. That's separate from their ads.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Keep in mind, Bill, that FB Marketplace is generally for used goods sold by individuals or small businesses. Just another version of "Craig's List" in that respect. That's separate from their ads.
    I do not blame the people selling on FB. I just feel that FB and others make their sites hard to navigate, on purpose, so you stay longer and get to see more popup ads which pay the site owners.
    Bill D.

The reason many groups leave and start their own forums and the reason the OP hates it are the same. Facebook deliberately makes it difficult to search and get back to a post you have already seen. They care more about directing yours eyes past as many ads as they can. Going strait to what your looking for is not going to pay their light bill.

I've found that places like SMC that have classifieds usually will be better than CL or FB. I assume FB groups are kind of the same. The sellers know more about what they are selling so the chances of getting a great deal are less. Some of my other interests, like photography, seem to have lots of used equipment for sale than woodworking.

Blog Entries
    On the flip side, I’m a fan of Etsy.
    I found a place that made me some old timey looking nuts and washers. https://www.oldwestiron.com/
    I needed some sublimation transfer sheets printed and found someone cheap and fast.
    I found a guy in Idaho that welded me some bench legs. Not cheap but he does great work. https://modernironworks.com/
    I found a little family owned company i central Illinois that made me a bunch of wrought iron (style) fence for a very fair price.https://www.arusticgarden.com/

I avoid Facebook media but like Marketplace. It is a little less wild, wild west than CL. I have successfully bought decent lumber as well as some other smaller things at decent prices. Selling is hit or miss. I have sold things I thought no one would want in as little as a few hours. Other things that I thought would sell well never did sell.
    Regarding distance limits, that is adjustable out to 500 miles. It is a filter that appears after you start a search. However you change the distance will become the new default on subsequent searches. I agree the search function is a bit hinky. If you find something of interest, that is the time to buy or at least contact the seller to get the listing saved in your messages. The good stuff sells quickly most of the the time.

I found a little family owned company i central Illinois that made me a bunch of wrought iron (style) fence for a very fair price.https://www.arusticgarden.com/[/QUOTE]

Interesting Roger. I'm only 30 plus miles from that town and have been through there many times and never knew of them. I'm not in the market for any wrought iron but it's good to see such a business hopefully thriving.

Blog Entries
    Athough I agree that the ads are annoying, and the layout hard to navigate, I do find the best deals there, like an early 1800’s desk and secretary for $130 each.
    41F8291E-2AE1-4E25-82B7-19C202B74123.jpg C6C48325-2A42-41ED-87C6-4843656F390C.jpg

The sideways bug strikes again. Hold your head sideways.

I actually scored a few useful household items from it in the past but then took a break from FB over the last few months. Logged back in to look for something recently and it was all paid adds for commercial sellers rather than then C2C local listings I was hoping for. Oh well...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Am I the only one who can’t stand Facebook Marketplace?

--You had me at "Facebook" ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    From a seller's perspective I really like FB Marketplace. I've been building and selling furniture very successfully over the past couple of years. A tip for those who are or want to sell something on FB Marketplace... add the boost option. For just a couple of bucks I've found that it consistently gives me fast sales.

From a buyer's perspective I've noticed similar issues as stated by original poster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sold both my table saws within 3 days on FB. Sat on CL for a week nothing but “will you trade” or “I’ll come today” & never show up.

FB local is full of out of state it more like Ebay

Except for the fact that it is so darn disorganized, I like it. Found several bargains. One or two free at curbs that I turned around and sold. My daughter has an online business and gets merchandise on Marketplace that she sells on line. I will say, she does know where the items should be listed to get max prices. I found an old cast iron farm implement seat in the woods. Sand blasted it and put it on Marketplace for $50 and it was gone an hour later.