Thread: New grizzly bandsaw

New grizzly bandsaw

Well I broke down and bought me a new grizzly g0555..I went and bought a new blade from amazon...it was a Olsen 93.5x3/8x4tpi....I believe I got all the guides and bearings set right but this is the cut I'm getting...I have used this brand of blade before and never had this type of cut...can anyone tell me if it might be the blade or my adjustments....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jeff, assuming your blade is sharp, try playing around with the blade tension. Finding the right tension, which for my 19” BS was higher than I expected, really helped with cut quality.

i just noticed that the blade has alot of wobble in it even when tension is put on it,,could there be a defect in the blade

Yes check the blade weld. If the weld is straight, try decreasing (or increasing) tension until the wobble disappears.

I'm not 100% clear on what constitutes 'wobble' but in some cases the lower wheel needs to be adjusted. I haven't run into it yet but I think a symptom is that the blade moves forward and aft on the lower wheel when running. Sure try more tension, just don't completely collapse the tension spring. I'd wonder if your blade had more set than you were used to but you said you'd use this model blade before. Grizzly is reputed to have good customer support, maybe call them or email your pics to them. Have you tried a different blade? That would be a way to eliminate the blade being the problem.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-12-2022 at 8:54 AM.

Looks like a damaged tooth or a bad weld…..Regards, Rod

Yeah, definitely the blade, most likely the weld. Contact the blade supplier. Or rewelding is possible.

Whenever I get a new blade I first lay it on my workbench, teeth up, to see if it rests flat with the bench all the way around. If it doesn't it's not going to run or cut smoothly. If the blade does lay flat on the bench and gives a cut like you're seeing then one of more teeth are set too much, as suggested, or the blade has a kink in it. If it has a kink you'll see it when you rotate the blade by hand. I've never been able to eliminate it so I either scrap the blade or use it only for rough work. Finding teeth set too much is a little harder but not impossible. Usually, it's only on one side of the blade and the cut will tell you which. Once you know that you can usually find just by watching the teeth as you rotate the band by hand or by putting a small piece of wood on the table as close to the teeth on that side of the blade as possible and then watching the teeth as you slowly rotate it by hand. The good teeth will pass along the block w/o issue; the bad one (or more) will rub up against it or even catch it. Once you know which tooth is the offender you can carefully bend it back into alignment with a pair of pliers padded with wood or rubber, while holding the back of the blade with another pair of pliers or handclamp.

John

I also agree it looks like a rough cut for a 4t Olsen. I’ve used a lot blades from Olsen sometimes they do have a bad weld.
    If you have a Rockler woodworking nearby they sell Olsen blades. It’s completely acceptable to inspect the blade before you buy.
    One more suggestion I would like to make. It looks like you made test cuts on plywood use a friendly scrap of poplar or soft clean. Something clean and soft to break in a new blade. The glue in plywood is very hard.
    Good Luck
    Aj