Thread: Uh Oh, Did I Ruin My WWII

Uh Oh, Did I Ruin My WWII

I have a few Forrest saw blades and one of them started to get rust patches on it. I was told to use several rust removers, but had none on hand. I was also told to try a mixture of lemon and salt. No good. I then tried white vinegar. To my surprise it worked. Bt too good. It turned my blade to a steel bluish gray color. I thoroughly cleaned and dried it. Put on a good coat of wax and put it on the saw. Doesn't seem to have any problems yet. But what about long term? Outside of Boeshield and Evapo-rust, what else can be used effectively that will keep from discoloring and/or ruining the blade.
    Thanks.

P.S. As a side note, the method I used originally took off the rust, but it left a stain where the rust was. That is why I used the vinegar.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I use vinegar to sharpen my files----never thought about sharpening sawblades......

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Discolored blade isn't going to ruin your blade. If it's still sharp and cuts like a sawblade, it's working fine. I suspect you had some surface rust and a scotchbrite pad and some 600 or 1000 grit wet sand paper to get the rust off would do just fine. If the rust is on the cutting edge, send the blade to Forrest and I suspect it's returned like new. They replace the carbide cutting surface on the blade.

But remember, this is a sawblade, it's considered a consumable item. And while you can sharpen a number of times, once it's past the point of no return, recycle it and get a new one.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

All my blades end up discolored and pitted from cleaning. As long as the carbide stays sharp they always work well.

I use CMT blade cleaner. It works great and doesn't discolor the blades.

I have used 409 for years, for blades and bits, no issues at all.

Blog Entries
    I have read that there are some cleaners (don't remember which) that a blade should not be left soaking for a long time in because they will compromise the brazing alloy that holds the teeth on. I never soak them more than a few minutes though, and if rust shows up I just hit it with a green 3M pad. It doesn't have to be pretty, just reasonably smooth & clean.

What you essentially did was "pickle" the steel of your sawblade. Knife makers working with carbon steel still do this as a simple layer of protection. They often make designs on their blades by allowing the vinegar to sit for different time periods to create patterns on the steel. You did not harm your blade by using vinegar. If anything, you added a layer of protection.

Vinegar is a mild acid and as such can certainly have some minor reaction to the metal that might change the color as you mention. I do not in any way believe it would physically compromise the blades, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...