Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really enjoy watching professional football

Blog Entries

I really enjoy watching professional football

Unfortunately, I’m a NY Giant fan and didn’t see any “ professional “ football this year🙈, or for that matter, for the last five years
    Dennis

I'm pretty sure the Giant players are getting paid so I guess that makes them "professional". Whether they're playing good professional football is another discussion. Whoever becomes their next GM will have a lot to say about it going forward.

Unhappy with your team? Get in line.

Lions Compensation.jpeg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I don’t watch many sporting events any longer, pro football especially. I get more done. I played football through college and everything that hurts me today i can tell you where it started 50 yrs ago. I’ll do everything I can to keep my two grandsons off the gridiron. I wish we had played soccer in the 50’-60’s, but in those days if you went to a sporting goods store to buy a soccer ball they would give you a tether ball. I do tape the English Premier League games and watch a couple of those a week. Extraordinary skill and conditioning of normal sized people who ALL get to play with the ball. Google some stats on NFL games. The average game lasts about 3 hrs 20 min. Total play time is about 11 minutes and there are over 100 commercials.

I still follow my team (KC) but the rest of it is just another TV show. All the scandals over the years - brain injuries, cheating, violent criminal players, prima donna show-offs, bad sportsmanship, Hollywood treatment of players - has soured me on the "sport".
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Unfortunately, I’m a NY Giant fan and didn’t see any “ professional “ football this year, or for that matter, for the last five years
    I have a theory about bad NFL teams. The difference between good players and bad players is vanishingly small if you compare them against the entire population. I’m 67, out of shape and overweight. If a ‘bad’ NFL player was to hit me like they do each other, I think it would probably kill me. I try to keep that in mind when I grumble about my team.

Chiefs fan for forty years. About the time they got good, I moved to the DC area. Hmmmm…. Maybe I’m a jinx.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I still follow my team (KC) but the rest of it is just another TV show. All the scandals over the years - brain injuries, cheating, violent criminal players, prima donna show-offs, bad sportsmanship, Hollywood treatment of players - has soured me on the "sport".
    I do not understand why, when a player is arrested or convicted, he is taken off the roster. It would be better if they had to continue to carry him on the active roster books so they are a man down. Might make the teams care about player mental health and provide counseling when. they need it.
    The salary can be donated to the league retirement fund.
    Bill D

Like the game, but can't do the gladiator thing anymore. Meeting a few ex-pros who had quite literally bashed their brains out for my entertainment put me over the edge.

Lots of people wreck their bodies for the sake of their employment, a generally deplorable situation that I wish we could fix, but the brain injuries are particularly heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do not understand why, when a player is arrested or convicted, he is taken off the roster. It would be better if they had to continue to carry him on the active roster books so they are a man down. Might make the teams care about player mental health and provide counseling when. they need it.
    The salary can be donated to the league retirement fund.
    Bill D
    Should we expect the same from the post office when a postal employee goes ...um, well... postal?

Not that I condone 'NFL behavior', but as with so many things, we (consumers) just keep shelling out cash for their products. Whether games, movies, or groceries, the 'ugly' will stop when we stop funding it.

The local franchise has it's share of largely owner-induced personnel atrocities, so I quit supporting them years ago. One example, a new veteran 'star' was involved in a early morning (think 'last-call') highway shooting event - in a posh area not known for such. It was said star's 3rd shooting event since entering the league. Great hire! I'm out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Unfortunately, I’m a NY Giant fan and didn’t see any “ professional “ football this year��, or for that matter, for the last five years
    A guy walks into a bar and the Giants game is on the TV over the bar. The guy takes a seat on a stool by the bar and takes a frog out of his pocket and sits it on the bar. The frog turns so it can see the game. After a while the Giants kick a field goal. Suddenly the frog jumps up and down does a couple of back flips and then sits back down watching the game. Some time later the Giants kick another field goal and the frog jumps up and down, does a couple of back flips and once again sits down watching the game. Curious, the bar tender walks over and comments. "That's quite a frog you have there mister, I see he gets excited when ever the Giants kick a field goal. What does he do if the score a touch down."

The guy answers:

I don't know I've only had him for four years.!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I enjoy pro and college football, in fact I’m more of a sports junkie. The thing that bothers me most is that when a player gets in trouble off the field, they keep getting multiple chances, somebody else can always fix them.

" I played football through college and everything that hurts me today i can tell you where it started 50 yrs ago. I’ll do everything I can to keep my two grandsons off the gridiron."

I knew a lineman who played in the 1969 superbowl between the baltimore colts and the jets, he was not going to let his sons play football
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Whether games, movies, or groceries, the 'ugly' will stop when we stop funding it.
    Well said Malcolm!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I enjoy pro and college football, in fact I’m more of a sports junkie. The thing that bothers me most is that when a player gets in trouble off the field, they keep getting multiple chances, somebody else can always fix them.
    Stopped for a burger/beer this week, and discussing the state of football with the world's best psychotherapist (aka bartender), and he opined this, "Talent always trumps dysfunction."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    " I played football through college and everything that hurts me today i can tell you where it started 50 yrs ago. I’ll do everything I can to keep my two grandsons off the gridiron."

I knew a lineman who played in the 1969 superbowl between the baltimore colts and the jets, he was not going to let his sons play football
    I've known a number of guys who played in the NFL. Some played long ago and some played recently. All had/have lasting physical damage.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.