Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shop Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    We were told when we bought the German Short-hair that they were nicknamed the velcro dog. They were right! Even at 14+ years and weighing over 80# he still thought he was a lapdog.
    Looks like Hennessy is going to be just the same. lol
    Enjoy Mr. Hennessy!

About 2mo. ago, we rescued a 18mo. old blonde 'Lab' (at least she looks 90% Lab). SWMBO had to get DNA checked: ~40% German Shepard; 30% Great Pyrenees; 15% Lab; 15% 'super mutt'; and 100% sweetheart. A Shepard's tail & ears, a Pyrenees' feet (snowshoes), and a Lab's size/color/intelligence. She had a tough life before we got her, and still has lingering health issues, but if you leave the room for 5 minutes or 5 days, she greets your return with the same joy.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-11-2022 at 4:16 PM.

If Hennessy's (after the cognac) parents are an indication of his future weight than he's going to weigh between 155# his dad (a harlequin dane) and his mom a 190 (a brindle dane) he'll weigh around 175# maybe. Time will tell lol.
    He's already eating 6 cups a day and still a slim dog.
    The DSP was named Rémy Martin.
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 01-11-2022 at 7:40 PM.

Our new dog, if I do bring him into the shop then he will be a secondary dust collector.

Bowie @12lbs he should max out at about 20.
    bowie.jpg

My brother and sister-in-law used to have 2 great danes - a black male and a harlequin female. She was small, only about 130 pounds, while he was bigger at around 150. They still got 6 cups of food a day.

I have a fat dachshund who gets 1 cup a day. We have to watch him, though, as he will try and eat all the other dog's food if we let him. He's about 33 pounds now, and a beast compared to his sister, who is about 23 pounds.

We have a similar problem with 35# beagle that we feed her a cup per day separately otherwise she would eat the dane's food if we left it out.
    Our 3 month dane puppy is a grazer and eats however many cups we feed him throughout the day. So we feed him 2 cups 3 times a day and eats what he needs then we put it up. He still manages to eat 6 cups a day.
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 01-14-2022 at 6:43 PM.

OMG!!! I can't imagine that much dog food.

Our Cavaliers eat either 1/2 cup, or 1/3 cup twice a day.

The largest puppy is 20#, the other two 13#, so roughly meal size for the Great Danes. Wow.

Ours don't go in the shop, or as Jim said, would be secondary dust collectors.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Since we are introducing shop dogs....meet Truckee. She's a 13 week old chocolate lab with a dislike of blue tape.

PXL_20211220_132758337 (1).jpg

I lost Skipper, my shop dog, in December. He was the most loyal dog in the world. He was always with me and when I had to leave him home, he stayed by the door until I returned. I miss him terribly.

He was in his 18th year.

Mike

Antarctica-034.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I lost Skipper, my shop dog, in December. He was the most loyal dog in the world. He was always with me and when I had to leave him home, he stayed by the door until I returned. I miss him terribly.

He was in his 18th year.

Mike

Antarctica-034.jpg
    You have my sympathies Mike. Skipper lived a long and good life. I lost Ella, my best friend, 4 years ago this month. She was 10. It still hurts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I understand how you feel about your lost friends. Before I got Hennessy, I had a 14 year old German Short-hair Pointer. After a year of losing him I decided to move on even though I still think of him everyday. Even though I'll always remember him it was time to gi e another dog a good and loving home.

Nice dog. He's already found his favorite spot it appears. Makes me think of the meme I saw that said when you are going to bed, "ring the door bell" so at least you can get in bed before the 3 dogs take up residence there again. My Bernedoodle is not a shop dog but he's always close by any other time. He loves attention and is pretty good at demanding it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Nice dog. He's already found his favorite spot it appears. Makes me think of the meme I saw that said when you are going to bed, "ring the door bell" so at least you can get in bed before the 3 dogs take up residence there again. My Bernedoodle is not a shop dog but he's always close by any other time. He loves attention and is pretty good at demanding it as well.
    This reminds me. On a podcast this week I heard where the band Three Dog Night got their name from, and what the expression means. Never knew that.

Going to be the coldest night of the year here tonight. Definitely a three dog night.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

These are my two. The Lab totally gets the shop dog thing, and enthusiastically falls asleep on the Lazy Boy in front of the stove every chance she gets. I get an evil eye when there isn't a fire in the stove, even in summer.

The Poodle doesn't care for the shop so much. She usually sits and looks at me with a "Why aren't you playing with me?" expression on her face when she is out there. She also is basically a four-legged dust mop, so I leave her in the house when I can

ShopDogs.jpg

We lost our oldest Cavalier King Charles Spaniel yesterday. Callie. Almost made it to 16 years old without any heart murmur. Our vet has never seen anything close to that.
    Callie.jpg

Our most loyal dog ever. We are just heartbroken, but old age finally won out.

Very sorry to hear that Mike, my condolences.

It looks like Skipper had a long and wonderful life…..Regards, Rod