Thread: Compass Plane

Compass Plane

I am building a headboard for a Sheraton bed frame and wonder whether a compass plane might be a better tool to use on the curved edges than a spokeshave, rasp, and file. I'm thinking about something like the Stanley No. 113. Does anyone currently make adjustable radius compass planes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Anderson View Post
    I am building a headboard for a Sheraton bed frame and wonder whether a compass plane might be a better tool to use on the curved edges than a spokeshave, rasp, and file. I'm thinking about something like the Stanley No. 113. Does anyone currently make adjustable radius compass planes?
    Not sure if it is still being made, Highland woodworking has one listed made by Kunz at $329.99. That is about three times what a good Stanley model will cost you on ebay.

My experience with a few Kunz planes has not impressed me.

There are a few things you want to consider before buying. If it is going to be just for this job you may want to go with spokeshaves, rasps and files.

You would also want to make sure it has its handle and would be better off with one having a Bailey adjuster instead of the sidewheel adjuster.

They can be used without a handle but it is uncomfortable.

Here is an old post on fettling mine > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148391 < There is a link to another post on using it included.

One common problem with the #113 is the chip breaker gets swapped with one from a #3. They are different.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I recently made a curved piece for my bookcase. I tried using a compass plane but I found making cuts down to the line, clearing waste with a chisel, and then refining the curve with a spokeshave the most efficient method. Even with a compass plane you will have to clear the majority of the waste first.

If you really want to go the compass plane route, I suggest trying Patrick Leach for a vintage one. Kunz makes a reproduction of the 113, but after my experience with one of their spokeshaves I would question the quality.

Hope this helps!
    IMG_20220107_203428933.jpg

Back before the internet, I had a need for a compass plane. I looked for a 113, but could never find one that wasn't completely rusted. I ended up getting a Record 020. It works fine. Some people complained that design isn't as comfortable as a 113, but with a sharp iron, it's a very useable model, and the comfort in use never was a problem. I never looked for anything better. I wouldn't eliminate them from your search, if price matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Anderson View Post
    I use a vintage Stanley 113 that I restored from a pile of junkers in my shop. It's great for fairing concave curves, as long as 1) we're talking a fairly large radius in the curves, and 2) the material being used machines easily. On large radius convex curves it's not an improvement over a block plane. I typically use fmine for bending or laminating forms, where the material to be cut is softwood or MDF. If you don't have one, though, I would not spend much getting one for your bed frame. it won't be of much use for most of the curves (too small radius), and you won't get significantly better results on the long curves than you would with a really sharp spokeshave. And, you may expend your whole month's share of cussing learning the ropes on the compass plane.

A compass plane would give you a more dimensionally accurate arc, but for a headboard a smooth and fair curve will get the job done. Spokeshave and card scraper will do fine.

I have the Record compasss plane, and it gets a surprising amount of use. It might just grow on you if you get it.

I have a Stanley #20. It’s very useful for accurate dimensioning, but you’ll need to follow-up with your choice of spokeshave, rasp, file or sandpaper to get it finish ready.