Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror paper? - or plastic mirror?

Mirror paper? - or plastic mirror?

Is there a flexible paper or plastic type of mirror? - not merely a highly reflective surface, but a surface that would actually mirror an image?

(I want to make a kaleidoscope and it would be useful to make the mirrors out of a lightweight material that could be cut with scissors.)

Blog Entries
    When I was a printer we would occasionally print on mirrorized mylar. It was reflective but would have distortion if it wasn't on a flat surface.

You can also by plastic that has been mirrorized. My experience was almost 50 years ago. Wouldn't have the slightest idea where you could get some now.

Googling > mirror mylar sheets < showed a lot of sources.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I looked for the same recently for a potential project but haven't bought anything yet. I found this on Amazon which are smallish sheets that would fit my need.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-10-2022 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Fixing typos
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

If the mirrors are plastic and bendable there would be a possibility of distortion. I wonder what the effect on the image would be if you deliberately made the mirrors so they could purposely be distorted by the user? Just a thought after reading the above posts.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 01-10-2022 at 1:56 PM.

Try this> https://www.teachersource.com/produc...BoCBfMQAvD_BwE

-I didn't get into the particulars....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You can get a spray that you paint on the back of a clear surface like plastic or glass to turn it into a mirror. (Krylon "Looking Glass Silver" or Rustoleum "Mirror Effect"). It works very well for reflectors for lights and decorative things. With good enough plastic, it might work for you.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 01-10-2022 at 3:46 PM.

I've built several kaleidoscopes and I've used first or front surface mirror in each one. You get a much better image using front surface mirror. It can be a little pricey and it needs to be cut, or you can buy kits with precut mirror.

Even the plastic front surface mirror I looked into needed to be cut with a fine toothed blade on a table saw. I'm not sure where you'd get material that could be cut with a scissors. I'll agree with Michael that the plastic, if it's too thin, could bend or warp and distort the images.

If you'd like more information just ask and I'd be happy to give any answers I can.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    I'll agree with Michael that the plastic, if it's too thin, could bend or warp and distort the images.
    That could be fun in a kaleidoscope. It could even be possible to make a control for the amount of distortion.

I've built several kaleidoscopes and I've used first or front surface mirror in each one.
    One of my endeavors many years ago was to do gold leaf work. There is also silver leaf. This is an easy way to make a "front surface" mirror on glass if it will be in a place where nothing can scratch the surface.

A gold leaf mirror can give everything a nice warm tone. It all depends on the karat of the leaf used.

Just now thought of another item that could be used. A Ferrotype Plate is a sheet of mirrored metal used in photography processing to produce a high gloss finish on photographs. There is a 10"X14" one listed as Buy It Now for $15 and free shipping on that auction site. The plate is fairly thin and would likely be easy to cut.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-10-2022 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Just now thought of…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Oops, the ferrotype mirror mentioned in my previous post sold whilst typing the post.

Search > ferrotype mirror < and you will find more at various prices.

jtk

Look at MYLAR products

Not sure how thick you are looking for but they make plastic mirror that is 1/8" thick. I use it for many different craft projects including this pen display rack which has a blue background mirror that is bent to the curve needed. new pen display stand.JPG
    John T.

There's also this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SR2LC5Y
    I can't tell if it's front-surface or back-surface looking at it, but it's certainly reflective enough. (Note: remember to remove the protective film . )
    Distortion is obviously a problem with that much flex but it has an adhesive backing that makes it easy to glue to a stiffer substrate.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 01-11-2022 at 6:24 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Beautiful John. Excellent design.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I've built several kaleidoscopes and I've used first or front surface mirror in each one. You get a much better image using front surface mirror. ...
    Same here - I use front surface mirrors made of thin glass. I got some precut pieces in a kit and also bought a larger sheet of uncut glass from a gentleman teaching a class on making kaleidoscopes at JCCampbell years ago.

I do have some plastic mirror material and 3000ft rolls of aluminized mylar but for a kaleidoscope I wouldn't want the distortion of either. Before using any mirror it is best to check for any visible loss of brightness in the reflection. If so, the kaleidoscope might have one segment obviously brighter than the others. I've looked through some cheap kaleidoscopes like that.

If making your first kaleidoscope I recommend buying a kit with all the right pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Beautiful John. Excellent design.
    Thank you. Over the years I made a few variety pen display stands. This one is rosewood and yellowheart with the blue mirror. Over the years I used many colors of that type mirror. Works great with my scrollsawing projects too. Copy_of_mirrored_roses.jpg
    John T.