Thread: Jet JWS-22CS shaper part compatibility with other Mfgs?

Jet JWS-22CS shaper part compatibility with other Mfgs?

Hey gang,

Over the summer of '21, I picked up one of those dinky 1-1/2hp Jet JWS-22CS shapers. Smaller than I'd normally prefer, but I got the thing for a song ($150, and it came with ~$400 worth of cutters... and they threw in around 2lbs of rust, free!). What it did NOT come with was the spindles or the 1/2" collet, just the 1/4".

"No worries," I thought. "I'll order the 1/2" from Jet and see how she goes."

I got her cleaned up and running smooth again by August - looks new if I do say so myself; my best resto to date. I placed the order for the collet - which was listed as a 90-day back order - Aug. 4. It's now 160 days later, and my order still reads as "pending". Moreover, they're not to be had on any of the parts sources, eBay - any of the usual suspects - for love or money.

Anyone know if any other mfg's are cross-compatible? Grizzly, maybe? It's almost inevitable it was stamped outta the same factory as XYZ. I just have no clue what XYZ IS in this case.

Any thoughts/advice?

I dont know about compatibility but I would just give you the input that you will get pretty much nothing out of router bits in a shaper unless your planning on swinging very large diameters. almost any average router bit will perform horribly at shaper max speeds (10K). I have collets for a 5HP import in the shop and they are sitting covered in dust and surface rust because they are pretty much useless even at ridiculously low feed speeds with a feeder.

Your backorder may be a blessing and just cancel it and setup a router table or invest in shaper tooling.

Just my $0.02

PS, nice score. Even having a small shaper for some dedicated ops (round overs, mortise, etc) is handly

@Mark Bolton
    Oh, I've got a TRA001 in the wing of my table saw, and a MOF001 in a shop-built vertical table. I'm really trying to accomplish two goals here:
    1. Verify the motor rebuild WORKED as well at it sounds like it did (I wanna put more stress on it than I'm really comfortable doing with only a 1/4" peg separating me from a dradle of death bouncing around at orbital escape velocities), and
    2. I intend to sell her, and for a whole lot more than I paid. But at the "whole lot more" price point, I'm gonna need to hand off at the very least both collets. The spindles seem to be MIA in MOST of the used ones I've seen, but if one can't at LEAST run 1/2 bits, what's the point of a shaper, yanno? You're quite right: at that point you may was well use a router table.
    Also, thank you for the response! I appreciate it, and that's good looking out!
    Last edited by Jason Jurusz; 01-10-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Typo correction

I know many of the spindle sanders use a common taper like a MT2. Have any taper shank drills around to see if they fit. Maybe your drill press CHUCK arbor is MT2 or MT3.
    Of course they have to have a draw bar on the small end.
    Bill D.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20279213316...EAAOSwy2BdlgPy