Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

10 Jan 2022

Greetings,
    Spent some time in the shop getting things cleaned up and better organized a bit. Spent significant time, money and effort is resolving plumbing issues after my plumber came and replaced the kitchen faucet and both master bathroom faucets. The master bath work was flawless. The kitchen plumbing needed attention and the plumber had to come back 3 times to get it resolved. The owner of the company stated that he's had problems with employees not doing the job right the first time and causing him significant added costs and a lack of customer satisfaction over the past several months. Played bass guitar at church on Sunday and back at the grindstone today for the day job.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like you had a busy week, Dennis! 'Glad you are getting shop time, too.

No shop time for me, however. We have final closing on the sale of our old property this week, so free time last week including helping our younger daughter and her SO move their stuff into temporary storage and getting the last remaining belongings of ours (one tiny closet plus a microwave) move out and either off to donations or here at the new place. I also had to reconfigure the alarm system and network so they were ready for the new owners to start using them once they are in. It's bittersweet leaving that place behind after 22 years, but the transition was definitely eased since we actually moved seven months ago. LOL Daugher and SO were our caretakers during the long sales process (unique property...needed the right buyer) and are struggling to find an available apartment that meets their needs. They will be hanging out at the SO's parents place for a bit and will hopefully have a place by sometime in March. Meanwhile, I can start putting in place plans to attend to my long list of things to do here at the new property, some of which will actually involve woodworking. Oh, and hopefully getting a shop building up sometime this year to get out of the cold and damp temporary shop in the "garage".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another week of plugging away on the kitchen, but I feel like I've rounded third....Got the undercabinet lights installed, hooked up and working. Got the island trimmed out, which actually involved some woodworking as I had to make a couple of decorative feet to allow me to wrap the base molding past the toe kick around to the front of the island. Could have ordered some with the cabs if I had thought of it, but making them was easy, although it took a while to come up with a reasonable match for the "natural" cherry finish. Not a perfect match but plenty good enough for something you have to bend down to see at all anyway. Installed the toe kick trim and shoe everywhere I could. There are a couple of places where I have to wait until I do flooring in the hallway before I can finish up. Now on to the crown.

Mary and I went counter stool shopping and ordered a couple we liked. Surprisingly, they are in stock at the warehouse and we should have them in a week or so.

But the best news is the countertops are coming on Friday. Can't wait! Once they are in and the crown is done, it will be on to the backsplash. We wanted to wait until we see the countertops in place before looking for tile for the backsplash; hope that doesn't bite us.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, despite the fact that it could potentially inject more delay in your project, I think you made a good decision to wait on the backsplash choice until the counters are in if you were not sure about what you want. The counter, as you'll see, really does change the whole look and is an important reference point.
    --

Finished construction of the pantry shelving units (2). Waiting for the temp to get 60+ in the s'hanger so I can paint the face frames. Still trying to master the spray gun but at least have found some consistency and understanding of the gun controls.

Sanded the walnut the counter top for the lower unit. Have to order some Waterlox and build a sacrificial jig for scribing the counter top to the wall.

Glad to hear so many people's projects are coming along. Jim, glad to hear the saga of the home sale will be ending.

No workshop time for me, as I spend the weekend at "girl's camp" with some of my best friends this weekend. We only do it twice a year, and it is so enjoyable to ne together. It will be back to the shop for me later this week.

That’s the best activity Lisa, spending time with friends…..Regards, Rod.

Well, I spent some time engaged in my present stupidity, making ash flooring. This was ripping week, feeder sure makes a difference.

Diann is away for week 8, living at my daughter’s place in Quebec, and her “zoo”, while said daughter is up north as a fly in nurse.

Yesterday Diann reported -35 temp, and Michelle said she had no idea as the thermometer ends at -40 and the mercury was nowhere to be seen. Here at home it was a tropical-20.

I’ve been doing physio on Michelle’s dog who had cruciate and miniscus ligament surgery, so when walking him the other night I wiped out on some ice. Fortunately I didn’t land on him however I horsed my knee really well and was off it for days, now he’s going up the stairs better than I am.😀

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, despite the fact that it could potentially inject more delay in your project, I think you made a good decision to wait on the backsplash choice until the counters are in if you were not sure about what you want. The counter, as you'll see, really does change the whole look and is an important reference point.
    Thanks Jim for confirmation. It will be interesting to see the change, especially since the temp counters I put in are white, and the new countertops a fairly dark grey.

And congrats on another step closer to selling the old place, and one step closer to starting on a new shop!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Having the counters in place changes the way light bounces, so that can impact what the final look you decide on needs to be. I'd actually like to change the backsplashes here at the new place to a "more white" subway tile than the beige-y textured stuff that is here because it would elevate the light levels under the cabinets. (and be easier to clean)

We are "go" for the buyer to close on Friday. We already signed our papers with the notary in our own agent's office. Closing is "closed" to just the buyers, the settlement agent and the two RE agents for health reasons.
    --