Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" Oliver Jointer - Serial number info

Looking at the motor tag Oliver sourced the motor to The Louis Allis Co. A little googling and the company still exists but are now located in Warrior, AL They still make specialty motors. While Oliver's standard was apparently "polyphase AC", they appeared in their catalogs to be quite willing to discuss the customers electric system and suggest a motor configuration. DC was an option for example. And their motor source was a specialty motor builder. Totally possible that Allis took a motor frame and loaded single phase windings in it for a special order. You will probably never find the answer to that puzzle, but you have verified that it is indeed 240 single phase and whoever made that change did it in the original housing and was professional enough to mod the spec plate.

One interesting thing I do not think was noted in this thread, is that the name plate says it is a 50 HZ motor.

It is obviously running on 60HZ in the US, so the motor will run 20 percent faster than nameplate. Probably not an issue for home shop use, but could cause overheating if used in a production environment for long periods.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Hey Andrew,

I can't figure out how to send you a message so just replying here. Trying to determine if this machine has a clamshell head or not. Based on the pictures and cross-section drawings I believe it's not but I was hoping you could confirm.

Here's a video I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c83bhSRLWm0

Thanks,
    Joey