Thread: Oak Kitchen table stain and smell :Rotted Green Peppers

Oak Kitchen table stain and smell :Rotted Green Peppers

OH, BOY!!

Gotta get, this fixed!!

Smelled something in the Kitchen today. Searched for an hour, trying to find the smell. Then I finally found it. I forgot to put the peppers in the refrigerator. One of them rotted , and leaked onto the Oak Kitchen Table. Cleaned it up, and tried Comet, vinegar, dawn dish soap, and baking soda. Can still smell the rotted green peppers in the spot on the table.

Anyone know what is the best way to get rid of that smell??

Deodorock? Pet store item?

Try a paste made from distilled water and baking soda. It should pull the funk out of the wood as it dries. Make sure you use distilled. Well/tap water will stain if it has any iron in it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Got all the smell out. Took a LOT of scrubbing !! Now, I just have to sand out that dark spot ; and put a coat of stain on it. May just re stain the whole table top, and put a couple of coats of Poly on top of the stain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Got all the smell out. Took a LOT of scrubbing !! Now, I just have to sand out that dark spot ; and put a coat of stain on it. May just re stain the whole table top, and put a couple of coats of Poly on top of the stain.
    If your careful & watch closely, oxalic acid may minimize the stain without whitening the surrounding wood.