Thread: SawStop Dust Collecton

SawStop Dust Collecton

I have the 3 HP cabinet model, likely for 6-8 years without checking. I love the saw - except the dust collection design. I have a Delta 50-760 with 4" PVC duct. I get a little dust collection from the over-blade device. However, it seem the below-blade chute continually plugs. I don't get much suction from the lower collection. I'm contemplating improvement options. One consideration is replacing the above-blade hose and piping and route it directly to my PVC pipe rather that it being routed down to the lower output. I've also considered just closing the lower collection system since it's useless and relying on an improved above-blade system.

What are other SS users doing; what am I missing? As good as the saw is, I'm disappointed in the dust collection system.

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I am happy with the dust collection on my SawStop PCS. BUT....I am running a more powerful dust collector...A 5 hp Oneida. The results you get will depend on the dust collector you have. I never have clogging issues.

I have a 3HP PCS with dust collection, through the cabinet base, being sucked by a 1.5HP, two stage, Jet DC, so not a super powerful DC. My hose is 4" flexible which transitions into 5" metal duct.

But it does fine. I check my cabinet about once every 3 months and probably have a layer of about 1/2 of sawdust at most.

Periodically, I remove the table insert, turn the DC on and with by compressed air blow gun, aim it at the sawdust in the bottom of the cabinet. This fluffs the sawdust up and you can see and guide it into the collection chute just below the blade. About two minutes of this and the cabinet looks like it was never used.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Periodically, I remove the table insert, turn the DC on and with by compressed air blow gun, aim it at the sawdust in the bottom of the cabinet. This fluffs the sawdust up and you can see and guide it into the collection chute just below the blade. About two minutes of this and the cabinet looks like it was never used.
    I do this too. Even though I have a 5HP Oneida and an ICS, there is still sawdust in the bottom when I look periodically. I usually vacuum some up with my Festool vac, then do the compressed air blowout, and it works like a charm.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Have had my SS (same model) for about 4 months. I was used to using the cabinet DC basically as a clean out - once in a while open gate, used a stick to push sawdust to port.

The SS has clogged a couple times. One time the hose became disconnected. I am getting better at remembering to use DC every time.

I think the shroud system they have works pretty good, but like my other saws, the important DC is above the blade.

At the furniture bank I volunteer at we have 2 PCS SSs on a 3hp cyclone DC. We occasionally get blocks in the hoses in the cabinets due to thin offcuts that get pulled down beside the blade and clog the chute. We have the stock blade inserts. I think a true ZCI would eliminate that problem.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    I have a PCS & dust collection is excellent with a 4" flex connected to the cabinet. I would get rid of that horrible contraption that SawStop sells to connect the guard to the lower port. I have a 2.5" flex dropping down from an overhead duct to the guard & that works very well.

But I suspect the real source of your problem is that your DC is just too small. It might do the job if you just had a very short connection directly to the saw, but even then, it will be marginal. Then connect the guard to a shop vac to leave all the DC capacity for the cabinet.

My PCS has never plugged up the lower port except when the flex hose inside disconnected. I use a "2hp" HF DC with a run of 5 inch snap lock as close to the saw as possible. It wyes to a 3 inch flex hose to a home made over arm dust collector that does not work very well. It gets in the way a lot so it is probably coming off. It collects OK when the cut is in the middle of the piece and the blade is buried. But when I cut only a little off, with the blade exposed, it gets little of the dust. I make a lot of those sort of cuts. I don't think any overarm works great on these sort of cuts.

9. I have an early generation ICS/5hp SawStop and I recently moved and located the saw in a conditioned space in the basement, different that my previous location where I could open he garage door and use a good enough Delta mobile dust collector. I sold the Delta before the move and I'm I'm considering the 1250 Dust Right or the Oneida Mini Gorilla. Shop space is limited so I plan to just use the connect the dust collector to one machine at a time. Any thoughts about wither one of those options or something else?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Russell View Post
    I have an early generation ICS/5hp SawStop and I recently moved and located the saw in a conditioned space in the basement, different that my previous location where I could open he garage door and use a good enough Delta mobile dust collector. I sold the Delta before the move and I'm I'm considering the 1250 Dust Right or the Oneida Mini Gorilla. Shop space is limited so I plan to just use the connect the dust collector to one machine at a time. Any thoughts about wither one of those options or something else?
    My own experience has shown me that a tight shop needs central DC & ducting even more than a large shop. I've been there. Moving the DC around & dealing with the cords & flex pipes was such a pain that I didn't even use it except for the worst dust producing operations. Put the DC in a corner somewhere out of the way & then run a few ducts overhead to where you need them. So much nicer to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    My own experience has shown me that a tight shop needs central DC & ducting even more than a large shop. I've been there. Moving the DC around & dealing with the cords & flex pipes was such a pain that I didn't even use it except for the worst dust producing operations. Put the DC in a corner somewhere out of the way & then run a few ducts overhead to where you need them. So much nicer to work with.
    Experience counts, thanks for the advice. I do plan to put the dust collector in a corner and leave it there, but move the machines (they are each moveable) as needed. I would have to think if there is some way to work with the machines without moving them. For example, to joint a long board I have to move the jointer away from the wall and into the center of the work space. The planer and saw the same thing. So I use one machine at a time and the thought is to keep the dust collection in one spot and move the machine to the work space and connect the stationary dust collection. The shop is about 24x12.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    At the furniture bank I volunteer at we have 2 PCS SSs on a 3hp cyclone DC. We occasionally get blocks in the hoses in the cabinets due to thin offcuts that get pulled down beside the blade and clog the chute. We have the stock blade inserts. I think a true ZCI would eliminate that problem.
    This has been a thorn for me as well (not a SS, but still the thin slivers fall down and cause clogs). I DO have a zero clearance insert but there is always something that makes its way through. And the ZCI impedes/restricts the flow of air to the lower cabinet (if this is your only intake to the cabinet). Might want to intentionally create an opening to allow more airflow (it is all relative, but something to experiment with).

I find most sawdust coming off the top of my TS blade - so without something above the blade it generates dust.

Thanks for answers and suggestions. One thing I did yesterday was replace the PVC 4" drop to the lower dust port on the SS with a 4" flexible hose. Looks like I got tighter joint connections than on the PVC (I didn't always glue the joints so I could disassemble to clean), the flexible pipe provided more "gentle curves (verses elbows), and the suction appears significantly improved. I haven't done much cutting, yet. I'm also going to replace the PVC drop to the jointer for the same reason.

I haven't had any problems with dust under the table. Coming off the blade is messy, because I don't use the guard. Every few months I clean out under the table because I don't always move the dust collection hose before I cut.

I run a Jet dust collector, which I have mounted to my ceiling in a corner with an Onieda Super dust deputy on a 30 gallon drum. I run a Rockler 20' 4" flex hose to the various tools (SawStop, Hammer A3-41, 19-38 drum sander).