Thread: Looking for High Gloss Paint

Looking for High Gloss Paint

I will be painting my kitchen and used Ben Moore High Gloss enamel last time and it held up well for many years on the cabinets & trim. Just wondering if there are any new products that would be better. I read an article that rated water based Rustoleum very high in gloss & hardness. I am not going to use oil based paint.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Last edited by kevin nee; 01-09-2022 at 3:49 PM.

SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel is WB and comes in gloss sheen. It sprayed great with my pressure assisted HVLP gun with 10% thinning. Goes on great with a brush and/or foam roller, too. If you have an airless rig then you have more options, including SW's ProClassic. It's available in gloss and whatever high gloss is.

Sorry, no experience with the Rustoleum product.

John

Another liker of the Emerald Urethane here. ProClassic is good stuff too, but I've never used it in Gloss.

Just a couple of weeks ago, SW didn't have any Semi-Gloss EU (still don't), and I ended up getting some cabinet and trim paint from Home Depot to spray some interior house doors. I wish I had waited for SW. Some of it I needed to brush, and the HD paint was horrible for brushing. It's also a slightly different white than the SW EU that I used on the adjoining trim to the doors I painted. It was in a rental house, so we're moving on, but lesson learned. I end up kicking myself in the butt any time I use something other than SW.

My friend couldn't get ProClassic SG so he bought HD's Cabinet and Trim Enamel in SG to paint some new interior window trim. He said it went on fine and it sure looked great.

No argument from me that Emerald Urethane is great stuff. The HD equivalent looks to be Behr Urethane Alkyd Enamel. Is that the one you used?

John

I'll have to look. I think so. The doors I sprayed with it look as good as any. I can see where something like lineal trim wouldn't be a problem. My problem was that I was using all my rotisseries, so I decided to brush a couple of six panel bypass closet doors. I had the temp at 68 in the house. The paint dried so fast that I couldn't keep a wet edge in more than one place to cut back into. Where you can keep a Very fresh edge, it's no problem, but painting a six panel door requires some places to wait a half minute, and that doesn't go well.

It's not very good at self-leveling either, I expect for the same reason.

Even though it seemed to dry too fast for that, the doors we left in the garage took a good week to cure well enough to safely handle. It was fairly cold in there, but it wouldn't have been a problem for SW paint.

Tom, if you have to use brush more of that paint it likely would help to add a few percent of Extender to it, either BM's or GF's. Extender can turn an unworkable product into a very forgiving one. I've even had to add it to a couple of products that I couldn't spray well w/o it; SW's Kem Aqua+ was one of them.

John

I'm not brushing any more of it.

edited to add: It's their Cabinet and Trim Enamel
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-10-2022 at 3:06 PM.