Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help selecting cutter for T&G decking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    I don't think anyone in North America manufactures them, but you can certainly get them from Europe. I have two tall blocks and blanks right here. They can be run without limiters of course and I know some people skip the limiters for short, power fed runs, but invest in them for larger runs where the costs of them translates to 1/4 of a penny per linear foot. Or in scenarios where stuff needs to be hand fed, folks will often decide they like the limiters. Everyone's got their own thresholds.
    Sorry I should have explained my question more. Though you answered it. I meant I haven't seen any limited heads available to order short of ordering directly from a euro supplier. Not trying to dissuade anyone from going the safer route, just a observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Sorry I should have explained my question more. Though you answered it. I meant I haven't seen any limited heads available to order short of ordering directly from a euro supplier. Not trying to dissuade anyone from going the safer route, just a observation.
    Oh yeah, it's all good, I didn't think you were. I was just trying to share how some folks deal with the limiter side of the equation if they end up with a limiter-style corrugated block. Some folks aren't going to use them all the time, but appreciate the option to use them in situations where they decide it's worth it. I do suggest using them all the time of course.

most of the used shapers ive purchased came with tooling, half the time I can find a thing I need or just grind and tweak an existing one. I use this for some cabinet backs. Mel makes a good point and Brian Muir was the first I saw mention the back cut. I doesnt matter in a cabinet back for a floor it makes sense. I usually shim or by eye leave a small space for expansion depending on what time of year or the material.

I dont cut to width on this for a cabinet its not worth the set up time. Joint rip to width and run it. Feeder is there but usually just use a feather board and hand feed. Nice you have a 160. Missed one at an auction but there was a guy that drove in from far on a mission and bought four or five of the main machines at that auction.

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-10-2022 at 11:53 AM.

should have been Brian Ross, site wont let me edit or even see my post if I log on, other times it works perfectly.

1 1/8" spindle is not uncommon on older American machines, Moak for instance. T bushings to 1 1/4" will work in most cases.

A corrugated head as in Warren's photo is a good investment and custom knives are easily sourced and not too expensive. For flooring a short shoulder on the underside as mentioned and a taper at the tongue entry are good.

Never saw 1 1/8" on a ton of auctions but just as well as would not have fit my machines. I guess its a US thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Never saw 1 1/8" on a ton of auctions but just as well as would not have fit my machines. I guess its a US thing.
    To be clear, I have seen 1 1/8" spindles, not tooling.

yeah cant see my posts so not sure of my words but meant 1 1/4" thinking shapers. Thats all ive seen at auctions for years one auction had 30 MM otherwise all 1 1/4" There was 40 MM and 50MM as well at companies with moulders

This discussion has been very helpful to me so, I really appreciate all the information.I still have lots of work to do to get this all setup, but this will help me.

The 1-1/8" size in my original post was a slip - I meant to type 1-1/4". It might have been a Freudian slip, since I used to have a very old Yates American machine that was 1-1/8", it was odd even for a US machine. I don't actually know what my T160 is yet, since it is currently in transit, I expect either 1-1/4" or 30mm. (The seller was a dealer that was not very responsive about those details).

I am not familiar with "limiter" heads, I have used corrugated heads before, but have a hard time picturing how a corrugated head can have a limited cut with knives that could stick way out. I am assuming that a limiter head prevents too big of a cut for safety reasons. Can you provide an example photo or link to a head like that?

Please disregard my request for a photo of a limiter head, I was too quick to post my last reply. Right afterwards, I looked on the Whitehill link, and see that they offer corrugated limiter heads. They had a nice little video that may have helped me understand how they work. It looks like it uses a second set of knives with the same profile, installed reverse to the first set and slightly recessed to control the depth of cut. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

thanks!

The limiter uses the same position as the knife, it just projects about 1mm less. Whitehill etches their tooling so you can tell at a glance which is the knife and which is the limiter. Tooling sold in Europe has to have limiters by law, and even power fed operations are considered manual.

The British spindle moulder book I have explains it that you still get a nasty injury, but you keep the finger.

By the way, Whitehill makes all of their cutter heads in 1 1/4” size too…I have a couple for my big old Steton T33
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 01-11-2022 at 12:52 AM.

What about one of those insert profile cutter sets that you can have a set of blades ground to any profile you want? Doesnt sound like you have a lot, nor does it need to be super precise. The profile pro head might have chip limiters

I happen to have a T&G set that came with my shaper, but no idea where it was purchased. I believe it was used for cabinet door making - so maybe another option to peruse (a simple rail/stile set but no profile, becomes a T&G).

If I had 1 1/8 post, I might be looking to have a spacer made to accommodate 1 1/4 tooling.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 01-11-2022 at 7:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Balton View Post
    Please disregard my request for a photo of a limiter head, I was too quick to post my last reply. Right afterwards, I looked on the Whitehill link, and see that they offer corrugated limiter heads. They had a nice little video that may have helped me understand how they work. It looks like it uses a second set of knives with the same profile, installed reverse to the first set and slightly recessed to control the depth of cut. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

thanks!
    You got the gist of it Chris. Chip limiting is achieved in a couple of different ways. With most insert tooling, the body of the whole cutter itself is so close to the geometry of the cutting edge that it acts as the limiting aspect. The second approach is "limiter blocks" where the custom profile knife is matched by knives ground and installed reverse as you say to achieve the same chip limiting. Both of these are capable of being fed stock at far too high a rate to achieve quality results so the chip limitation characteristics are in no way an obstacle to performance in normal feed scenarios. While those limiter knives are unique to each profile, they never wear out so will never need replacing.

Both their large combi head (which I use all the time) as well as their corrugated are considered "limiter style" tooling but differ in how the knives are retained in the head. The corrugated block can hold thicker steel and thus capable of more profiles, and knives ground for this can be had in North America easily. However, the large combi has many hundreds of profiles for far less than corrugated and of course gives you a shear cut rebate (rabbit) block at the same time. It can also be flush mounted to single sided tenoning if you wish. More and more grinding shops are offering custom grinding for this style of head too.

I have a few videos on my channel that show some of these blocks in action.

Cheers,
    b

I usually run large quantities of T&G on the moulder and small quantities on the shaper. A lot of ways to achieve this on the shaper with prices for tooling ranging from low to high. A corrugated head with custom knives would be the least expensive. Myself I don’t like to run counter profile- profiles with corrugated. It’s a fussy setup with corrugated. You could get both cuts on the same head as Warren shows above. I think a corrugated head with limiters would be extra painful to set up.

The next step up for cost would be to get a standard 2 hole Euro block and have someone like HotKnives grind quality 4mm thick HSS knives for it. Many others can grind these as well. The standard knives that come with these are junk.
    DC31B6B8-ACC9-4C50-AF6C-8B41D6EB9206.jpeg
    Whitehill blocks are better than these and more costly. I have a couple of these for cuts I don’t do often. A little work to change knives but OK if not a daily user.
    Limiters are a good safety feature especially if you don’t have a lot of shaper experience. With limiters you will only cut a little bit of you finger off at a time instead of the whole thing. Bottom line is you just don’t want to get your hands close. Many methods even for hand feeding.
    Myself, I don’t have employees any more and only buy limiters for larger cutters that may be hand fed or used on a table saw. Other wise I don’t see them worth the extra cost for low use cutters. Here are some of my limiter type cutters with and without the limiters. Hot Knives is able to make limiters for the Euro blocks. I also have them making a custom knife for my Whitehill block. They are the same pattern as the 2 hole euro block knives just bigger and a little different hook angle. Don’t have it yet but will see how it works.
    B98A0C75-057D-4084-B7D5-963702032066.jpg
    ]1917AE2A-C539-4D64-8016-CD07F4E59E20.jpg
    I make some T&G on the shaper using my Garniga Multiuse head. It’s expensive but very versatile for many other uses. I can do straight, rounded or v joint T&G with this. With this I can fine tune the fit for loose or tight. One thing to keep in mind is for flooring you need the groove about 0.3mm larger than the tongue or it will never go together.
    2922F0E9-4525-4F15-BD01-C9F0A53C58E9.jpg
    Keep in mind if you have cutters made you need to spec this clearance. I ordered some Whitehill knives to T&G exterior door panels using the NC shaper to go up and down for the cut. The cutters were too tight to assemble length wise boards. Would have been fine for a shaker style door joint but not edge gluing boards. I had another cutter made with clearance and it works fine.
    36A8B610-5D44-4B54-931A-3F05755EEBBF.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 01-11-2022 at 3:39 PM.

Ok, back to the original post for a minute; Poplar flooring?