Thread: Advice: Stanley No. 79 rehab

Advice: Stanley No. 79 rehab

Hi folks,
    I was hoping to get some pointers.
    I bought a vintage Stanley No. 79 online. I am looking to tune it up. The problem is unlike bench planes which have loads of tutorials on restoration, I can't really find any info on the 79

I know I need to get a new blade for one side

I'm enclosing some pictures for context:
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.30.24.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.30.25.jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.30.25 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.30.25 (2).jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.30.25 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.30.25 (4).jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Assaf Oppenheimer; 01-09-2022 at 6:49 AM.

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.33.37 (1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.33.37.jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 13.34.25.jpeg

Had to do it in two posts to load all the pics.

anyway I would appreciate any pointers or information I can get on tuning this plane, and what importance does flatness have on its function

Appreciated,
    Assaf

Blog Entries
    Are the screw for the toes stuck? That can be a real problem. It might be better to leave them alone if they are stuck.

The first order of business would be to get the blades properly sharpened and see how it does.

If you do not already have a small wire brush find a vendor with welding supplies. They usually will have toothbrush sized (or slightly larger) wire brushes with brass and steel bristles. That will help remove dirt and rust if a rag alone doesn't.

The slight bow over the length might actually be good. This would have one blade cutting and the other lifted from the surface so it isn't dragging.

Getting the blade sharpened at the correct angle is important since there isn't much lateral adjustment on this plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

nope toes are fine. I just needed to search for a screwdriver fine enough to fit the slot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    nope toes are fine. I just needed to search for a screwdriver fine enough to fit the slot
    Great, my advise for anyone buying these or the Stanley #98 or 99 is to inquire or check if those screws are free turning. If not, pass on buying. There are more out there. The screw has an odd thread and are difficult at best to find a replacement.

Here is an old post of mine on a few things to look for/avoid when buying used tools > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?116419

If viewing in linear view post #18 is about side rabbet planes, Don't Fall Through the Cracks!!!, is the title.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Assaf,

Beware and be careful. You probably have already seen it, but there appears to be small crack in the upper right hand corner of the plane in photo #6. It is to the right of the upper end of the toe piece. I am uncertain whether it is a concern, and do not know a good way to approach it.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Assaf,

Beware and be careful. You probably have already seen it, but there appears to be small crack in the upper right hand corner of the plane in photo #6. It is to the right of the upper end of the toe piece. I am uncertain whether it is a concern, and do not know a good way to approach it.

Stew
    yes, the crack is the reason for that particular picture.

my guess is that someone dropped it on the floor at some time. it doesn't seem to hinder the functionality though