Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A3 31 Feed Issue

A3 31 Feed Issue

I have had my machine for a year and it has worked great. I currently have a project that I am using Jatoba and having an issue when I thickness the boards. It is not feeding through smoothly. I have to push it going in and pull it a little at the outfeed. I put in a 12” piece of cherry and it went through with no problems so it seems to have something to do with the hardness of the wood. I have tried only taking .01” off and it does the same thing. Any ideas what is causing this issue? Here is is video to show what the issue looks like. https://youtube.com/shorts/OBzNp7s2e1k?feature=share

A few simple things to try. I'd wax the bed first, then clean the rollers. I try to wax my bed before each major planing session. Its so so important.

Yep, simple as it sounds, wax the table.

Wax the table. For whatever reason, it needs it way more frequently than you may expect.

Hi Kevin

I use Felder Super Glide on mine. You can purchase it directly from the Felder e-shop website.

Yes I agree with Waxing the Table but make sure that you wax with a Non Silicone Wax. I use Butchers Bowling Alley Wax.

I wax mine, but when I see boards start to struggle to feed, a quick spay of super glide and it's good for the next 30 or so boards.

I bought one bottle, 3 years ago, and it's still 3/4's full.

+3… A good waxing solves most every jointer/planer feed issue.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Also, check the drive belt tension, assuming the A3 31 using belts to drive the cutterhead and drive rollers. The belts on my J/P stretched enough after a year or so to cause the same symptoms.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Also, check the drive belt tension, assuming the A3 31 using belts to drive the cutterhead and drive rollers. The belts on my J/P stretched enough after a year or so to cause the same symptoms.
    Hi, it’s table lubrication, almost guaranteed.

I previously used paste wax, now I use Felder Silber Gleit…….Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I previously used paste wax, now I use Felder Silber Gleit…….Regards, Rod
    Does that have any protective qualities, or just low friction?
    (I'm in an area that isn't too bad for rust, but I do refresh the paste wax after any significant use to keep the tops in good condition)

Matt

Thanks everyone. Put the FELDER Metalall Protect on it and back in business now. That was a simple fix. Now need to go back and reduce the spring pressure on the rollers since I am getting some snipe. I should have checked here first before adjusting everything. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Does that have any protective qualities, or just low friction?
    (I'm in an area that isn't too bad for rust, but I do refresh the paste wax after any significant use to keep the tops in good condition)

Matt
    Yes it also provides rust protection, unless you live in an extremely damp location.

The 1Kg can lasts a very long time……Regards, Rod

Taking off too small a bit leaves too little pressure to propel the board.

I haven't heard anyone suggest this, but I think you might need to wax the tables