Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopfox planer resale value

Shopfox planer resale value

My new planer is set to come in next week so I am getting ready to sell my current planer. Currently I have a shopfox 20 inch helical planer. The one i have is about a year old and the current list price it 4999 plus tax and shipping. I will also be including a 150$ mobile base. I asked my dealer where I ordered my new planer about taking it on consignment and they valued it at 2000-2500 without actually looking at it. When I questioned them the guy got a little snappy and told me that just because the new list price is higher doesn't make it worth more. What is a reasonable asking price to sell it on cl? I was hoping to get close to 4k.

Go ahead and list it. Southwest Wisconsin really doesn't tell me where you live and what kind of market for used machinery you have in the region, or how many board feet have been run through it. Around Peoria, IL the market is horrible. Most of the machinery deals are from dead Boomers and Boomers that are getting ready. Half price buys a lot of items. Either that or it's mostly Craftsman machinery. Personally, I have never paid someone 80% of new on his word that the machine is in good shape.

In in la Crosse wi. I did not mention but this machine is currently on backorder. I am still on the original cutting edge and I would say I have ran about 1000-1500 bf though it. I did recently sell a grizzly jointer for about 75 percent of the current list price so I was using that as my base line.

Put $4 grand on it and see what kind of response you get.

Shop fox isn’t exactly a hot commodity with lots of cache or prestige that has historically held value. Being available today for less than new certainly has value though.

That you’re getting rid of it for another planer certainly doesn’t impart confidence.

The Grizzly equivalent was sold recently that was listed in the classifieds here. He had the mobile base and wixey digital height gage. He told me he got 3500 for it. There is a Steelex 20" HH listed for 3200 currently in the KC area. Just added info. I'm not sure what the price difference between it and the Grizzly G1033X is from unless it's because Shopfox may be sold through a dealer. Are you still using it? Just curious what are you replacing it with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    The Grizzly equivalent was sold recently that was listed in the classifieds here. He had the mobile base and wixey digital height gage. He told me he got 3500 for it. There is a Steelex 20" HH listed for 3200 currently in the KC area. Just added info. I'm not sure what the price difference between it and the Grizzly G1033X is from unless it's because Shopfox may be sold through a dealer. Are you still using it? Just curious what are you replacing it with?
    I am still using it and it has been a good machine for me. The main reasons I wanted to upgrade are a segmented indeed roller, quick adjust bed rollers, larger capacity, digital read out, and a dust collection port that doesn't come straight off the back of the machine. I went with a new oviler 25" helical I believe the model is 4470. I got it ordered just a few day before the recent price increase with is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    When I questioned them the guy got a little snappy and told me that just because the new list price is higher doesn't make it worth more. What is a reasonable asking price to sell it on cl? I was hoping to get close to 4k.
    You probably know why the dealer said this, but all of his costs have gone up too, so his margins have to as well. Having a consignment machine taking up space in his showroom and making the money making machines look overpriced won't help him make a margin, unless he charges you the probably 50% margin that he needs to keep his doors open.

Around here a local auction that allows online bidding seems to be the way to get top $. Consistently see stuff sell for near new prices. This also takes care of complicated shipping issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    You probably know why the dealer said this, but all of his costs have gone up too, so his margins have to as well. Having a consignment machine taking up space in his showroom and making the money making machines look overpriced won't help him make a margin, unless he charges you the probably 50% margin that he needs to keep his doors open.

Around here a local auction that allows online bidding seems to be the way to get top $. Consistently see stuff sell for near new prices. This also takes care of complicated shipping issues.
    That price was actually before thier commission. They take 15 percent of the sale on top of the 2000-2500 they would sell it for. It doesnt make sense to me what they take on to sell right now they have a newer (16 inch delta i believe) radial arm and they are asking 2500. You can't convince me that the value of that and the planer are worth the same to the vast majority of woodworkers.

I was looking at that planer for the longest and didn’t pull the trigger. Grizzly had it for $3499 new for quite awhile and that wasn’t including occasional coupons to get it closer to 3k. Now it’s $5000.

The hard thing about heavy machinery used is having to pay cash for it and securing your own transportation private party.

Shop Fox is the almost same machine as Grizzly’s 20” Extreme helical. You can get a new Grizzly 20” Extreme helical for $4200 current price. Plus it’s not that hard to get a 5% coupon from Grizzly.

I’d buy a brand new Grizzly Extreme helical for ~4k before I bought a used Shop Fox for 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    That price was actually before thier commission. They take 15 percent of the sale on top of the 2000-2500 they would sell it for. It doesnt make sense to me what they take on to sell right now they have a newer (16 inch delta i believe) radial arm and they are asking 2500. You can't convince me that the value of that and the planer are worth the same to the vast majority of woodworkers.
    Lol, I agree not many would choose the RAS. Sounds like he just wants it to be someone else's problem.

You’re kind of in a pickle, but I’d sell it myself independently. Be prepared to drive a few hours and open your selling radius.

$2500 seems perfectly reasonable for a used machine that cost $5k. If it’s like new maybe $3500. New machines are hard to find though, so starting at $4k isn’t a bad idea in this market.

Mitch ,sell it yourself. If it was me I would not pay North of 2500-3000 for it. That being said start at 4000 and see where it goes, remember you can't raise prices once something is listed but you can always lower the price later.

I never pay more than 50%-60% of retail for used machines, discounting the prior use and potential issues I may get stuck with and no warranty. But it's a crazy used market right now. There's a guy near me asking 97% of retail for a used Powermatic 15HH and PJ882HH that looks to have some rust. I thought he was crazy but then a local Ram dealer is offering 30% over Kelly Blue book for trade ins.

I agree, get no warranty AND take all the depreciation? No thanks. I pretty much agree with the consignment estimate. If you're willing to sit on it until you get what you ask for it, go for it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Did the new planer arrive? What did you decide on the old one?