Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been a long time! River table advice??

Opaque epoxy (any tint or color will cause it to become opaque) is more forgiving with respect to bubbles in deep voids; you won't see them.

However, if you are not tinting the epoxy, beware of trapped bubbles or too thick a coat (in a void). Trapped air and/or uneven hardening of the lower layers can cause epoxy to dry to a mucousy yellow.

So what is needed is a way to mix and pour the epoxy without entraining any air in the material to be used.

I am imagining a mixing chamber that is tall and narrow. It is first filled with resin and if any bubbles get into it they are allowed to rise to the surface. The activator is injected into it with a manifold of nozzles submerged to various depths, they are also the stirrer. Any bubbles are at the top. Epoxy is discharged from the bottom and the entrained bubbles are left in the heel.

The mixing chamber sounds good, but I don't know how it could be cleaned afterward, and it would be too complex and expensive to be disposable.

I share Zachary's concerns. A vacuum chamber has the mixed resin in a separate container...the one used to mix and pour. It merely extracts as much of the suspended air in the resin from the mixing process.

"That all said"...this kind of thing isn't going to be in the toolbox of someone not doing frequent resin work due to cost, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why a small river why not an entire bay? This table is about 300 by 400 feet ,not inches.
    Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._A...eers_Bay_Model

https://www.spn.usace.army.mil/Missi...isitor-Center/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-15-2022 at 1:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    ...any little tips would be appreciated!
    Fred, it is wonderful to have you back. So don't take this the wrong way ... build a table that involves actual woodworking. River table are not only overdone, but they are devoid of anything that you will wish to own and show off in a few years time. If you have an epoxy itch to scratch, then find a board with small voids to fill with black tinted resin ... sympathetic with the bigger picture. Not as a feature.

River tables are one of my two pet dislikes. The other is the use of butterflies to close a crack .. just because it is cool to have butterflies.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-15-2022 at 6:38 AM.

Hi Derek, let me have a little fun with you here.

River tables may be a little passe but loose drawer bottoms (vs glued in plywood) are arcane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    So what is needed is a way to mix and pour the epoxy without entraining any air in the material to be used.

I am imagining a mixing chamber that is tall and narrow. It is first filled with resin and if any bubbles get into it they are allowed to rise to the surface. The activator is injected into it with a manifold of nozzles submerged to various depths, they are also the stirrer. Any bubbles are at the top. Epoxy is discharged from the bottom and the entrained bubbles are left in the heel.
    Is your real name Rube Goldberg?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Fred, it is wonderful to have you back. So don't take this the wrong way ... build a table that involves actual woodworking. River table are not only overdone, but they are devoid of anything that you will wish to own and show off in a few years time. If you have an epoxy itch to scratch, then find a board with small voids to fill with black tinted resin ... sympathetic with the bigger picture. Not as a feature.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I agree 100% with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Is your real name Rube Goldberg?
    Frank you're just jealous of my genius.