Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hubble end of life

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    NORAD and USSTRATCOM specialize in this type of targe... ahh, delivery. I'd recommend a short vacation on delivery day.

And double-check your homeowner's policy.
    "CURBSIDE?!? How the heck am I supposed to get it into the back yard?"
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    The problem with bringing Hubble down is the mirror. That is one big piece of glass. I can imagine it skipping all over the place coming down. Like a frizby.
    I know you're kidding, but that mirror is more like the last chip in a 13-ton can of Pringles.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Not kidding. It's 7.2 feet dia and weighs 1825 lbs.
    I can't imagine it burning up/melting as it comes racing through the atmosphere.
    Obviously aiming for the Pacific ocean, who knows what that mirror will do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Not kidding. It's 7.2 feet dia and weighs 1825 lbs.
    I can't imagine it burning up/melting as it comes racing through the atmosphere.
    Obviously aiming for the Pacific ocean, who knows what that mirror will do.
    Burn and/or melt: possibly not.
    Survive in one piece: definitely not.

I'm not sure you comprehend the aero forces involved. It's not like Hubble would disassemble itself gracefully, and there's another 12 tons of various alloy bits surrounding it. A good analogy would be putting a pair of glasses and a couple pounds of miscellaneous hardware into a gallon paint can, and running it through a mixer for a few minutes...think those lenses would survive?

I understand aero forces.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can not imagine hooking up a refueling hose wearing gloves and a spacesuit. At least there would not be any bug nests blocking the flow.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    on the other hand, there have been big improvements in earthbound telescopes. I think Hubble still has the upper ground but the difference isn’t what it once was. As far as I know, Hubble is still booked solid.
    One big issue for ground-based telescopes is the huge number of Bright Shiny Things getting shoved into low-earth orbit by Musk and his cronies.
    https://www.space.com/megaconstellat...ight-pollution
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ope-satellites