Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing solid push blocks

Refurbishing solid push blocks

I have a bunch of plastic push blocks for my jointer that are going on 20 years old now and the grippy material has seen better days. It just doesn’t seem to hold anymore, which makes them more of a liability than a safety device. Add in the cold weather where they always had less tact, I need to do something.

Before I go out and buy 4 GRR-Ripit blocks at 25 bucks each, I’d like to see if I can replace the grippy material on the ones I have.

Does anybody sell just the grippy material? Ideally from the GRRiRipit blocks or similar? Anybody have any tricks for doing this? Special adhesives to use?

Some folks use sandpaper and sandpaper glue or self adhesive paper.
    Bill D

Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have used old computer mouse pads for pad replacement...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I read or saw a suggestion to ditch the old style push blocks and just buy some tile setting pads. Sorry I can’t remember exactly where I saw it. Big foam, good handles.

I've not tried it but I've also heard that a good cleaning with DNA can rejuvinate the grip on pads like it does for rubber rollers on planers.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I stopped using grippy foam and put mending plates with little spikes on my push blocks. Been using this for several years now and I love them.

Google "Truss plate nail teeth" or "mending plate nail teeth" and you'll see what I mean. These are in the "Simpson Strong Tie" section of any HD or LWS.

Well well, some good ideas in here. I wouldn’t have thought of the Simpson plate idea myself. I wonder if carpet tack strips wouldn’t work as well. I can see this being great solution for rough sawn lumber, but might be a bit too aggressive on near finished work. Also, I’ve never run my push blocks into the blade of my jointer (thankfully), but I’m sure the first time would be right after making metal spike ones!

Brian, I’ll give DNA a shot on one or two of mine. The others are beyond saving, the foam is not only not grippy by torn to shreds.

Bill, Rough sandpaper seems like a good alternative like the Simpson plates. I’ll probably end up doing one of those ideas.

Finally, that material from Lee Valley is exactly what I was looking for. Now to decide if it’s frugal to buy it and refurbish what I have or frupid.

Rockler's Bench Dog push blocks are plenty grippy and far less expensive than the GRRRRRRRR.

https://www.rockler.com/bench-dog-ultra-push-bloc

They don’t Marr like you’d think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post

Finally, that material from Lee Valley is exactly what I was looking for. Now to decide if it’s frugal to buy it and refurbish what I have or frupid.
    I didn't search around for other suppliers. You might be able to find it in smaller dimensions. Maybe Grainger or McMaster?
    Brian

I have used a grout float for tile in the past they work well and are fairly inexpensive. I currently have a couple purpose built push blocks that I got on sale.

I cut a piece of rubber shelf liner like this, and glue it to the push block.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In one of his videos, Izzy Swan talks about a product called "cork rubber." Looks like what you need.

McMaster-Carr has all sorts of different material that would work on a push block. Mcmaster.com and go to their raw materials section.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation