Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joining two end to end slabs

Blog Entries

Joining two end to end slabs

I have two slabs cut from the same bigger slab. Friend brought them to me, to get them in his car he cut it in half. Has anyone ever rejoined them back together and it didn’t looked botched. Any comments or advice is welcome

my first reaction is putting an end grain to end grain splice will look just like that. It is for a coffee table top. I think I need a different plan.

That's like gluing straws end to end. Even with dowels or domino's, it wouldn't look right.

If you look at a dining room table, the grain runs across, so you can put leaves in them. I guess you could put it together & put something under to support it, like metal rods, but your gonna see the cut line.

Sure, brush off all debris and see how they fit together. It might be that once glued , and planed ,all the roughness might be gone.
    Do not tamper much with it before gluing. Glue and screw on a beefy brace on the bottom.

The other method is to admit it is two pieces and use a contrasting wood,tile, or stone at the splice.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The other method is to admit it is two pieces and use a contrasting wood,tile, or stone at the splice.
    Bill D.
    Agreed. I'll bet that the cut is not all that clean or straight so by the time you get to end cuts that meet up well, enough stock will be lost so that there will be a grain mismatch. So, as Bill mentions, try to find a design that looks like it was the intention instead of being an obvious attempt to fix a mistake.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I’ve seen wood used that had big “wind shakes” and people liked it. Nature’s oddities are accepted, demand equal standing !
    And trees have been admired for half obscuring horse shoes; I say totally obscuring horse shoes is the right way !

Blog Entries
    I think you are correct!

Blog Entries
    I think I will see what my son wants, but fitting the two pieces together as suggest isn*t the way to proceed.

they are live bark edge so turning the other way really isn’t an option either. Thanks everyone for helping me out of a dump idea. Charles

use Ironwood then you can just weld them

This just in. . .. use some water to clean the wood and pop up the knocked over fibers. Cut out anything below the expected final surface
    that is too smushed to to knit with the other piece.

I actually had good luck one time with some soft wood using a scarf joint. Just cut at a 45 and the angle overlap helps it blend quite well. You could try more shallow even.

I wouldn’t do it. Just me, but it’s something I would have considered a long time ago but would now regret. I would personally find the look forced. I would now accentuate the gap or make two smaller items with them.

No way to hide it, may as well celebrate the story. Dovetail keys or multiple splines...how about concealed splines with an inlaid strip of sawblade at the joint?

Well…there are some guys walkin’ around with reattached arms and legs that think a fix is “good”. And think a Corvette with dent is better
    than a perfect Pinto (Pintos were a type of car that smelled better than a real pinto) but had a lower top speed.

Ever looked closely at the Washington monument ? They started it with one type of stone and then switched to something else, and subtle
    it aint. We live in an age that will accept ugliness ….as long as it has NO FLAWS !